Living in Ozamiz - Information please

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I did my conversion in Iloilo, but as my UK licence had expired had to do the theory and practical tests (practical I was given a free pass) and the medical.  Went in at 9am and was done by before lunchtime with (paper) licence in hand.  Cost was around 600php or so plus 550php for medical.  

I was lucky, when I went they still had plastic blanks. An acquaintance who went about 10 days later got a paper one. He made a copy of it as well as the receipt and had it laminated; that’s what he carries when he’s riding his bike. 

Forgot to add: the Philippine DL I got is valid for 5 years. I was told when I renew I’d be eligible for a 10 year one. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

A UK license with motor cycle endorsement is good for 90 days in Philippines. 

Here is a YouTube that goes through the process. The LTO online has all the BS you will be required to endure. 

The LTO online has all the BS you will be required to endure. :hystery:

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gator said:

Make sure you wear long pants when you go the LTO office (was a requirement at the office I went to, but YMMV). 

Indeed.

No shorts, no flops, no muscle T shirts---woman's arms must be covered.

Believe that you will have to get a regular DL first then apply for a motor cycle endorsement.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Lee said:

Indeed.

No shorts, no flops, no muscle T shirts---woman's arms must be covered.

Believe that you will have to get a regular DL first then apply for a motor cycle endorsement.

I was told you could also apply for just a motor cycle license (as long as you tick that box on the application form only)?

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I was told you could also apply for just a motor cycle license (as long as you tick that box on the application form only)?

That’s correct. Brother in law only has a license for motorcycles and trikes. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

4 hours ago, Gator said:

That’s correct. Brother in law only has a license for motorcycles and trikes. 

Definitely - the application form has various tick boxes depending on what type of vehicle you wish to ride/drive. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I ticked all the boxes when I changed my Aussie licence, I'm licenced to drive up to Multi-Combine (road-trains) in Australia as well as open motorcycles.  The gatekeeper inside the door (not the guard, but an actual LTO employee) explained that he wouldn't allow the articulated vehicle endorsements but everything else was fine.  I was fine with that, I have no intention of driving anything woth more than two axles here. 

I showed up with:

• Completed application form,
  • Original and copy of my Aussie licence,
  • Original and copy of my passport bio page, visa (I entered under a 9a during covid restrictions - no tourists allowed at the time), and entry stamp,
  • Original and copy of my ACR-I card, 
  • Original and copy of my latest BI receipt, 
  • Certificate from the medical I'd just completed (what a farce), and
  • Original and copy of our property lease at the time. 

They kept all the copies.  Although the wait was long it all went without a hitch.  This was at Dumaguete LTO so always insanely busy.  

Just a note though, some countries do not accept PI driver's licences for more than temporary visits so it's a good idea to maintain your own country's licence as well if that's the case.  From memory @hk blues had some issues recently back in Western Australia or that may have been because his Aussie had expired and he was without a PI licence as well.  I can't remember. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I ticked all the boxes when I changed my Aussie licence, I'm licenced to drive up to Multi-Combine (road-trains) in Australia as well as open motorcycles.  The gatekeeper inside the door (not the guard, but an actual LTO employee) explained that he wouldn't allow the articulated vehicle endorsements but everything else was fine.  I was fine with that, I have no intention of driving anything woth more than two axles here. 

I showed up with:

• Completed application form,
  • Original and copy of my Aussie licence,
  • Original and copy of my passport bio page, visa (I entered under a 9a during covid restrictions - no tourists allowed at the time), and entry stamp,
  • Original and copy of my ACR-I card, 
  • Original and copy of my latest BI receipt, 
  • Certificate from the medical I'd just completed (what a farce), and
  • Original and copy of our property lease at the time. 

They kept all the copies.  Although the wait was long it all went without a hitch.  This was at Dumaguete LTO so always insanely busy.  

Just a note though, some countries do not accept PI driver's licences for more than temporary visits so it's a good idea to maintain your own country's licence as well if that's the case.  From memory @hk blues had some issues recently back in Western Australia or that may have been because his Aussie had expired and he was without a PI licence as well.  I can't remember. 

I'm British, Brett.  But, yes in a sense I had an issue in that my UK licence was expired so needed to start from scratch (we Brits cannot legally renew our licence if we live abroad although I'm sure many do - unless you have retained a UK address but that can cause tax issues down the line) - it was a non-issue really as all it mean was I had to do the theory test at a cost of 100php and was exempted from the practical anyway.  I didn't need any driving school certificate or anything like that.  In and out the LTO in less than 3 hours.  Documents similar to you except no BI receipts or property lease.  

I was quite surprised at how easy the process was.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

There is also anecdotal stories that if you tell the LTO wherever you are renewing licence,  that you also ride a motorbike occasionally, they will at their discretion add on the motorbike licence for either no additional or a small additional fee.