Receiving OTP's from Abroad ( specifically the UK in my case

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hi out there, I am not at this time getting by text OTP,s to my Phone from my UK bank. Is anyone else  experience this?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Can't help, Jack - my 2 UK banks use app/card reader system rather than OTP by SMS.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Not from the UK but I have noticed over the last few weeks that I have often had to request a resend of the OTP from not only my banks in Aussie but also for other overseas web sites where I have 2FA enabled.  After requesting a resend I almost always get 2 messages straight away.

That wasn't happening before.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Not from the UK but I have noticed over the last few weeks that I have often had to request a resend of the OTP from not only my banks in Aussie but also for other overseas web sites where I have 2FA enabled.  After requesting a resend I almost always get 2 messages straight away.

That wasn't happening before.

This happens to me even here in the Philippines using BPI online - not often but maybe 1 in 10 times. And yes, I always get both OTPs eventually. 

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

Skype works, most of the time.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

use app

1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Hi out there, I am not at this time getting by text OTP,s to my Phone from my UK bank. Is anyone else  experience this?

Are you using the bank website?  Do they have a phone app?  For some reason the bank phone apps seem to work differently and OTP might not be needed.  Some of mine just use your phone security code.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Are you using the bank website?  Do they have a phone app? 

No it is the bank account Portal They are looking into a phone app now

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Are you using the bank website?  Do they have a phone app?  For some reason the bank phone apps seem to work differently and OTP might not be needed.  Some of mine just use your phone security code.

One of my UK banks uses an app and therefore only needs an internet connection.  But, it still generates a OTP which is needed to log in.  The same with the card reader account I have - it still generates a OTP which I need to log in.  The only difference is how the OTP is generated and communicated.  

• Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

I wonder if the recent issues have anything to do with supposed end date for SIM card registration? 

About a week and half ago I called Lite Ferries to enquir about something and there was no problem (even the call quality was quite good). Tried them again today to ask about something else and got a weird system recording saying the number was barred or on my barred list. 

• Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gator said:

I wonder if the recent issues have anything to do with supposed end date for SIM card registration? 

About a week and half ago I called Lite Ferries to enquir about something and there was no problem (even the call quality was quite good). Tried them again today to ask about something else and got a weird system recording saying the number was barred or on my barred list. 

I read that Globe last week had deleted something like 60,000 Sims due to suspected illicit/illegal activities.  I guess the odd legitimate number gets caught up now and again.

As an aside, the day after D-day for sim registration my wife was unable to send any sms. I thought her sim had been locked even though we registered but after a bit of digging I saw that all her sms were being sent by default  by another form of sms (I forget the name) which is free but requires both the sender and receiver to be online. A quick click and I set default back to sms.

• Thanks 1