Receiving OTP's from Abroad ( specifically the UK in my case

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A quick click and I set default back to sms.

The odd thing is I am getting OTP's from my bank here PNB and Google to activate my Account ( something they are doing every day of late) But nothing from the UK :89:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

The odd thing is I am getting OTP's from my bank here PNB and Google to activate my Account ( something they are doing every day of late) But nothing from the UK :89:

Yeah, I'm sure what I suggested isn't your issue.

But, I have just recalled that I had the same issue a couple of years back with OTP from DfWP. My wife and I had identical phones but one day, for no reason,  mine stopped accepting UK texts. I took the SIM out of mine and put it in hers and hey presto  problem solved. It was a workaround and for me, who perhaps needed it twice a year, it was fine.

In short, maybe a phone setting issue that is too hard to find but you can try your SMS in another phone.  And, as I say, the problem suddenly happened so don't assume because it was OK before it should still be OK, Jack. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

don't assume because it was OK before it should still be OK, Jack. 

Assuming is something I try so very hard not do But now in Trying to reset to another number ( Smart) it seems that the problem is I feel a problem with Philippine Phone providers just not accepting UK numbers for OTP's  BAD BAD I say, However, my Banks IT department are looking into it. They are contacting Globe and Smart to see what is what:tiphat:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Assuming is something I try so very hard not do But now in Trying to reset to another number ( Smart) it seems that the problem is I feel a problem with Philippine Phone providers just not accepting UK numbers for OTP's  BAD BAD I say, However, my Banks IT department are looking into it. They are contacting Globe and Smart to see what is what:tiphat:

Good luck, Jack.

I had an issue with one of my banks in Guernsey when I first opened the account.  I was able to call them no problem but they were never able to return my calls.  After a fair bit of toing and froing we discovered that the issue was at their end in that their IT system had blocked calls to the Philippines.  They were then able to remove the block once it was identified as the problem.

As always here, everything goes fine until it doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• 4 weeks later...
jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 8/13/2023 at 10:17 AM, hk blues said:

I read that Globe last week had deleted something like 60,000 Sims due to suspected illicit/illegal activities.  I guess the odd legitimate number gets caught up now and again.

As an aside, the day after D-day for sim registration my wife was unable to send any sms. I thought her sim had been locked even though we registered but after a bit of digging I saw that all her sms were being sent by default  by another form of sms (I forget the name) which is free but requires both the sender and receiver to be online. A quick click and I set default back to sms.

Just noticed my Globe sim has been deactivated, now I can't do on-line banking and can't use GCASH.

Another problem and head ache.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 5 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,  This guy on Youtube is going to try and offer USA (and Canadian soon) phone numbers for $5 a month.  His idea is to offer minimal use phone numbers for people getting One Time Use passcodes and forwarding them to an email address or another number. (Not sure if it will forward to Philippines but he says text will forward to an email somehow.)

Anyway, I remember lots of questions about that over the years so here is the video for anyone interested.  Have a good'un

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 2