Child Support

Gator
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Lee said:

The particular college in question doesn't have a website of their own. They have a FB site that only lists a rundown of upcoming events.

In that situation I’d be sure to have the registrar’s contact info.

Wife and I sponsored her cousin thru college. She just finished this year. We stipulated that good grades and attendance were part of the deal as well as access to her grades. The few times the portal was down when grades would have been posted at the end of a semester, the wife would message the registrar and request the grades and attendance record be sent via email or screen shots. We were lucky in the respect that we had very few problems with her cousin and now she’s working for a larger hotel in the accounting dept. Although we didn’t discourage or prohibit her from dating boys, we made it emphatically clear that if she got pregnant she was on her own. 

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

My wife and I have a small ministry here called Philippines Blessing of Hope.

Thanks for the link. Where is your ministry located---this might be something to get involved with.

My wife and I have harped about teenage pregnancy in her family for over 20 years. We have cited many examples that these young women can see with their own eyes of how your life will be in the toilet if you get pregnant by some loser at 15 ,16, etc. We would ask a niece this perhaps. Do you really want to live in a falling down hut with 4 kids that you can't afford to feed "married" to a guy that spends all day Sunday drinking up what money that you do have only for him to come home later and slap you around for kicks? Of course they all say no that they don't want that but then go out and get pregnant anyway.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Lee said:

Where is your ministry located---this might be something to get involved with.

We live in Moalboal and partner with a number of local churches.   If you google "Philippines Blessings of Hope" I believe the URL for our website should be at the top of the list.  The site is optimized for computer rather than smart phone.   We will be handing out about 20K peso worth of school supplies in the next few days.  We also have sponsored and continue to sponsor both college and high school students.  Those selected for college support/tuition are told ahead of time that support will stop if they become pregnant.   Some may say that is too harsh and/or unfair a stance but thus far we have 100% success, hopefully it will continue. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

We live in Moalboal and partner with a number of local churches.   If you google "Philippines Blessings of Hope" I believe the URL for our website should be at the top of the list.  The site is optimized for computer rather than smart phone.   We will be handing out about 20K peso worth of school supplies in the next few days.  We also have sponsored and continue to sponsor both college and high school students.  Those selected for college support/tuition are told ahead of time that support will stop if they become pregnant.   Some may say that is too harsh and/or unfair a stance but thus far we have 100% success, hopefully it will continue. 

I don't see it as as much harsh as pragmatic - when resources are finite it's wise to try to focus them where they are best utilised.  And, a spin-off benefit may be that it discourages teenage pregnancy.

• Like 1