NBI registers SIM using monkey pic

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Sailor Jerry said:

I gotta say, I'm getting a little tired of getting messages from NTC constantly which started way back when since I registered my Sim. Thought I had blocked them but started again. Is anyone else constantly receiving these? Many other warnings this just one.

NTC warning's.jpg

Yes, I am getting them.  Especially the last two weeks.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

I gotta say, I'm getting a little tired of getting messages from NTC constantly which started way back when since I registered my Sim. Thought I had blocked them but started again. Is anyone else constantly receiving these? Many other warnings this just one.

NTC warning's.jpg

Yeah me too after not receiving anything for a while. Annoying. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Yeah me too after not receiving anything for a while. Annoying. 

Same here. I block them, but they still come thru. Also tried replying with “STOP”, but all I get is msg send failure notice. Very annoying. 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

Maybe a TikTok dance video from each registrant will satisfy the new "live selfie" requirement. IDK

'Live selfie' requirement sought after 'monkey' registers SIM card

MANILA — Sen. Grace Poe urged government agencies and telco companies to impose a "live selfie" requirement in the process of SIM registration.

Poe, chairperson the the Senate public services panel, made the appeal after the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) bared that it successfully activated a SIM using a fake government ID bearing the photo of a monkey.

We have seen that fake government IDs can get through the telcos' system. The selfies will be an added line of defense in the SIM verification process," she added.

Poe said live selfies should be part of the implementing rules and regulations (IRR)of the SIM Registration Act. 

After the NBI's revelation, the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) issued a warning that individuals who entered false details during SIM registration would face penalties, including imprisonment. 

To address these concerns, NTC said there would be an updating of the IRR as well as the possibility of amending the law. 

https://news.abs-cbn.com/classified-odd/09/09/23/live-selfie-requirement-sought-after-monkey-registers-sim-card

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Maybe a TikTok dance video from each registrant will satisfy the new "live selfie" requirement. IDK

And how could they possible know it was a "selfie" and not a friend, stranger, or random picture taken off the internet?  Sounds like making a requirement that cannot possibly be verified and/or enforced. :89:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Place a Rhesus monkey in front of a computer and you have the perfect investment advisor for the newly established Maharlika Fund that government institutions will contribute billions and billions of their reserve fund.  Heh!  Might as well go all the way now that you can register SIM cards for monkeys using iPhones.  

By the way, Marcos senior wanted to change the country's name to Maharlika because Philippines (named after Felipe II of Spain) was too colonial.  

• Haha 1