Entire house enveloped by a “shellfish” stench

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Old55 said:

The stench is simply beyond description.

Perhaps you can ask a couple of your neighbors to burn a bit of garbage outside to help cover the smell. LOL.

Seriously, I would hesitate to eat any shellfish here due to the chances of getting sick from doing so. A few yrs back I had to rush several people to the hospital after they got sick as dogs eating shellfish that they were told were "good".

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Lee, there’s no way I could eat that abomination. 😝

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It’s a medium sized clam black with white stripes.

I think I know the ones you mean, I call them the durian of the sea!  Except durian is quite tasty once you get past the smell.  And no, I won't eat the clams in question either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I suffered food poisoning after having pasta with "fresh" shrimp about two years ago.  Since that time I refuse to eat any seafood here to include shrimp, fish, clams, etc.  The single exception to that is calamari that I know is freshly caught by my neighbor.  My wife buys it the same day it is caught and I cook it myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I suffered food poisoning after having pasta with "fresh" shrimp about two years ago.  Since that time I refuse to eat any seafood here to include shrimp, fish, clams, etc.  The single exception to that is calamari that I know is freshly caught by my neighbor.  My wife buys it the same day it is caught and I cook it myself.

I still eat it, but only if it's been verified caught on the same day.  We have a couple of guys that wander our Barangay mid-morning with their early morning catch and no incidents so far.  

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

A new shellfish import now at our Asian grocery store. It’s a medium sized clam black with white stripes. The stench is simply beyond description.

Wife is delighted. My boys and I are going for a long walk.

Kudos to you for tolerating this, for my selfish self it would last seconds before being thrown out. 

Eat what ever when out but at home.........

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Wow, I have been eating seafood here for more than 10 years (mostly from the market), to include clams.  Have also made Kinilaw, on numerous occasions, mostly from tanigue, but a few times using Tuna.   I dont eat the bangus or tilapia, but have eaten just about everything from the sea.    If you cook the clams thoroughly there should be no bacteria left alive for you to become ill.   I buy most of the seafood myself, and do my best to check to make sure its fresh.   I would have a hard time living here and not eating seafood, what else is left?   Beef from the markets is akin to shoe leather, chicken and pork are ok, but that would get old fast.    Also have eaten a ton of oysters in Iloilo, seems that every restaurant in that city had oysters.   Have I been lucky all these years? 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jjcabgou said:

Every time we visit Cebu I eat seafood often. I’ll only eat shellfish if my mother in law buys and prepares it. On average I loose 15+ pounds during our time there.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We don't eat a lot of seafood but probably have some every other week - we had shrimp a couple of days ago. As to where it comes from - as far as I need and want to know the refrigerator!

Joking apart,  I do tend to subscribe to the idea that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Of course,  basic precautions are needed here maybe more than back home.

• Haha 1