Fresh water recreational fishing in Philippines 🇵🇭?

PhillySquid
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm interested in freshwater fishing.   I noted some places such as Pantabangan Dam and Lumot Lake as well as another larger lake in Luzon that is stocked.  Anyone have any experience or suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited and split into new topic. Dan

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

At least in Davao area, I will not eat any local caught fish and especially bottom fish. Sewage pours straight our of the Davao River and also from all resorts lining the coastal areas.

If you want healthy fish, sail out 50 miles or more and then troll for fish. They may still be loaded with mercury or other contaminants, the larger they are, but maybe not loaded with sewage or land-based pollution.

I am starting to think it might be best to be vegetarian and take my chances with DDT and malathion!

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

At least in Davao area, I will not eat any local caught fish and especially bottom fish. Sewage pours straight our of the Davao River and also from all resorts lining the coastal areas.

If you want healthy fish, sail out 50 miles or more and then troll for fish. They may still be loaded with mercury or other contaminants, the larger they are, but maybe not loaded with sewage or land-based pollution.

I am starting to think it might be best to be vegetarian and take my chances with DDT and malathion!

The OP said he wanted freshwater fishing not sea fishing.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Now they are dumping radioactive water into the ocean in Japan.  The contamination is all over, so everyone should expect to die a few years earlier.  In the meantime, let's enjoy life.  

• Haha 1

PhillySquid
Posted
Posted

These fishing threads are a real bummer.. lol.  If I move to PI, maybe I just need a new hobby to experience the outdoors.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PhillySquid said:

These fishing threads are a real bummer.. lol.  If I move to PI, maybe I just need a new hobby to experience the outdoors.

Agree.  I have seen and/or read about a few places where fish are stocked and you pay to fish.  It is not really a challenge as the fish are conditioned to eat anything that hits the surface of the water.  And I would be hesitant to eat anything that was caught.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Agree.  I have seen and/or read about a few places where fish are stocked and you pay to fish.  It is not really a challenge as the fish are conditioned to eat anything that hits the surface of the water.  And I would be hesitant to eat anything that was caught.

Years ago, there was a restaurant in Laguna surrounded by fishponds.  You were handed a fishing pole with bait on the hook.  The fish in the pond being used were not fed for two days, so they were biting.  The fish caught was weighed.  You paid and the kitchen cooked it.  The problem was undisciplined rich kids kept falling into the pond in their excitement.  Then there were the piercing screams at the restaurant when children realized what they caught was their next meal.  Popular on weekends, empty during weekdays.  The restaurant closed.

• Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Best stick to a pond, bamboo rod Talapia fish, for a couple hundred Pesos one will not even get dirty hands

Zbundoks
Posted
Posted

It has been a long time since I first fished in Lake Caliraya, mid 80's, but they were stocking it with large mouth bass and other species back then. Used to go camping/fishing there. This is not far from the Lumot Lake you mentioned.

https://fishbrain.com/explore?fib-ex-lat=14.288590016038754&fib-ex-lng=121.56602964395915&fib-ex-z=11.992804558408428

The item linked above shows numerous places where folks have caught fish. 

Good luck, stay safe. 

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I like your name, Mr. remote rural area, and the fact that your location is 'here and there'. LOL

• Thanks 1