Fresh water recreational fishing in Philippines 🇵🇭?

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Fresh water fishing at Papa Kits on Cebu island and plenty of activities to do.

And you can eat the fish you catch, B-B-Q in the resort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PhillySquid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Zbundoks said:

It has been a long time since I first fished in Lake Caliraya, mid 80's, but they were stocking it with large mouth bass and other species back then. Used to go camping/fishing there. This is not far from the Lumot Lake you mentioned.

https://fishbrain.com/explore?fib-ex-lat=14.288590016038754&fib-ex-lng=121.56602964395915&fib-ex-z=11.992804558408428

The item linked above shows numerous places where folks have caught fish. 

Good luck, stay safe. 

Thanks, yes I watched a few YouTube videos of folks fishing Lake Caliraya and Lumot as well as the damn on the other lake.  My question is, are these lakes out in the Provinces, or are they close to a city where I might be interested in retiring to?  Any info is appreciated.  I of course did some research, and they seem very remote; however, I'm not there so I have no idea.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, PhillySquid said:

or are they close

That is a relative term here in the Phil. :hystery: I looked it up on the map and I have driven by that lake before. It is in the province on a two lane National road. 

It all depends on you. How often do you want to go fishing, how long are you willing to drive to fish. Once those questions are answered then we can start narrowing down the cities you might want to to live in. If you look on google map and see the city of Paranaque in southern Metro Manila that is where I live and it probably takes me 4 hours to get to that lake( if there is road maintenance or a festival going on in one of the cities along the route it might take 6). Los Banos is probably the closest big "city" to it. If you notice on the map a high labled E2. That is the Southern Luzon Expressway (highway to us Yanks) the further you get from that the fewer amenities. 

13 minutes ago, PhillySquid said:

city where I might be interested in retiring to?

Now we can start narrowing things down a bit. What are your minimum requirements, then we can move on to your dream bucket list lol.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 9/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, Eddie1 said:

The OP said he wanted freshwater fishing not sea fishing.

Good point... thanks. L and I went fishing at a small pond by a restaurant near Tagum. L was delighted to catch a fish and I was too. But I refused to eat it....maybe a bit of paranoia?

• Like 1

PhillySquid
Posted
Posted

Yes, I generally don't eat what I catch, as I do it for sport.  I just like the escape of getting outdoors and trying to lure fish to bite artificial baits.  Just my hobby.  I do eat fish, and when I saltwater fish I'll often keep and cook my catch if it's worth while.  But I agree with you, I wouldn't trust eating most fish caught, even from some of the places I fish in the states.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 9/12/2023 at 5:19 PM, PhillySquid said:

Thanks, yes I watched a few YouTube videos of folks fishing Lake Caliraya and Lumot as well as the damn on the other lake.  My question is, are these lakes out in the Provinces, or are they close to a city where I might be interested in retiring to?  Any info is appreciated.  I of course did some research, and they seem very remote; however, I'm not there so I have no idea.

To determine if a location is suitable for retirement, you need to consider the distance to a good hospital, a supermarket stocking merchandise you want, and availability of reliable internet.  Other factors may include security and electricity.

• Like 1

PhillySquid
Posted
Posted

I absolutely agree, and some actual time on the ground visiting for sure.  Just curious if anyone in the group had any insight.  Thanks.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, I realize I am off topic regarding fresh water fishing vs ocean fishing.....

As I mentioned previously, open ocean caught fish would normally be considered safe. In my sailing days, we might catch a mahi mahi or yellowfin tuna usually at least once during each passage.... wonderful to have fresh caught fish. But we did find worms in some of them so didn't do sashimi, but rather bbq-ed them most of the time. But now the larger pelagic fish also concentrate mercury and other chemicals. I did get mildly ill with ciguatera  after eating a rather large mackerel I caught inside the lagoon of New Caledonia. After reading about how farmed shrimp and some other fish are raised (and having a "milk-fish" farm installed right next to our yacht at anchor), I avoid farmed fish as much as possible - fresh water or salt. And I try to be careful about reef fish too...

I may consider becoming vegetarian after reading also about the chemicals and methods used to raise beef, pigs, chickens?  Like some of the local ladies (and gays), a big cause for large breasts in chickens is hormone produced or enhanced. The scrawny, but tasty native chickens may be a better choice?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

The scrawny, but tasty native chickens may be a better choice?

Yes, native chickens are free range.  They have the opportunity to eat insects, worms, bits of green and small pebbles for their digestive system.  Their meat is tougher from moving about but tastier.