Rendering a wall.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As the brick wall is nearly finished the person doing the job says the concrete has to be poisoned before proceeding any further.

What the heck is he talking about?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

the concrete has to be poisoned

Probably a bad translation of neutralized. 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

As the brick wall is nearly finished the person doing the job says the concrete has to be poisoned before proceeding any further.

I would find out before they proceed.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I would find out before they proceed.

My god what a great idea. Maybe just maybe that someone on this forum would be able to help me..

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

My god what a great idea. Maybe just maybe that someone on this forum would be able to help me..

hahaha, yeah, I knew that was a "no shit"....  Thought that as I typed it

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The lime in mortar needs to be neutralized to prevent scaling, etc.  Often done using muriatic acid.  

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Pretty much as others have said, wet cement has a high PH and this needs to be neutralised in order to stop it bleeding after painting etc.  So, the contractor is saying the PH (poison) needs to be allowed to seep out before finishing.  I know from experience that this is important as we have a tiled section of garden wall that was not given time to 'poison' as the tiler thought the tile adhesive would suppress the PH - it didn't completely. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

The lime in mortar needs to be neutralized to prevent scaling, etc.  Often done using muriatic acid.  

Putting vinegar in some water will work but cement sealer is what I used back in the UK.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Pretty much as others have said, wet cement has a high PH and this needs to be neutralised in order to stop it bleeding after painting etc.  So, the contractor is saying the PH (poison) needs to be allowed to seep out before finishing.  I know from experience that this is important as we have a tiled section of garden wall that was not given time to 'poison' as the tiler thought the tile adhesive would suppress the PH - it didn't completely. 

18 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Putting vinegar in some water will work but cement sealer is what I used back in the UK.

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I have a related question.  The new house we bought has a large concrete area on the side of the house and in the back of the house.  We plan to put tiles on it to make it look nice.  The concrete was poured around 2015/16 I think, and appears to be a good quality pour.  Other than a good cleaning / power washing, do we need to do anything else to the concrete before the tiles are laid, to promote excellent adhesion?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I have a related question.  The new house we bought has a large concrete area on the side of the house and in the back of the house.  We plan to put tiles on it to make it look nice.  The concrete was poured around 2015/16 I think, and appears to be a good quality pour.  Other than a good cleaning / power washing, do we need to do anything else to the concrete before the tiles are laid, to promote excellent adhesion?

Consult with a good contractor.  I see so many broken tiles in the Philippines, including inside and outside malls, that there must be something wrong.  Either it's the quality of the tiles or the adhesive used.