Rendering a wall.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I have a related question.  The new house we bought has a large concrete area on the side of the house and in the back of the house.  We plan to put tiles on it to make it look nice.  The concrete was poured around 2015/16 I think, and appears to be a good quality pour.  Other than a good cleaning / power washing, do we need to do anything else to the concrete before the tiles are laid, to promote excellent adhesion?

If the tiles are going on bare walls could be porous and need a sealer, if painted need to score the painted (scratch) walls 60 gauge sandpaper.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jimeve said:

If the tiles are going on bare walls could be porous and need a sealer, if painted need to score the painted (scratch) walls 60 gauge sandpaper.

This is on bare concrete floor, although I might consider a border tile along the bottom wall.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Consult with a good contractor.  I see so many broken tiles in the Philippines, including inside and outside malls, that there must be something wrong.  Either it's the quality of the tiles or the adhesive used.

Finding a good contractor is always the hard part!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I have a related question.  The new house we bought has a large concrete area on the side of the house and in the back of the house.  We plan to put tiles on it to make it look nice.  The concrete was poured around 2015/16 I think, and appears to be a good quality pour.  Other than a good cleaning / power washing, do we need to do anything else to the concrete before the tiles are laid, to promote excellent adhesion?

The original pad should be at least 50mm thick - if it's in good condition (as you suggest) and has been down 7 or 8 years it will be well bedded in so shouldn't be a problem. Just use good quality adhesive and make sure it's well grouted, especially around the edges where water tends to sit - you might even want to add a sealer. As usual, make sure it's slightly sloping away from the house. My experience here is that the bigger tiles are more likely to fail (look at the tiles they use in malls and how many of them fail) so I'd stick to maybe no larger than 12x12. Also, ask the tiler to notch the adhesive - they don't do it automatically but it's worth doing. We tiled our carport and it was perfect after 7 years and was laid on top of existing pad. 

It's definitely a case where the quality of the tiles is much less important than the quality of what they're sitting on.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The render has been there 6 months and the workers are now applying the Skimcote to it.

Of course the weather is stopping any further progress.

• Like 1