Caught on CCTV: NAIA Screening Officer Stuffed $300 Inside Her Mouth in Alleged Theft

Lee
Posted
Posted

A female security screening officer (SSO) at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 was caught on CCTV stuffing U.S. $300 (around P17,000) worth of cash into her mouth when she was suspected of stealing from a departing Chinese passenger.

"The CCTV footage clearly shows that the SSO, with intent to gain, took the USD300...during her inspection process and was clearly in the possession of the stolen money as she deliberately swallowed the paper bills to avoid getting caught," it said in official report of the incident as reported by Manila Bulletin.

It can be recalled that the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) issued a "no pocket policy" for security personnel in March following several incidents of passenger theft. This bans security screening officers from wearing jackets and uniforms with pockets.

The official report by the Airport Police Department said the incident occurred on September 8 at around 8:20 p.m.

Based on the CCTV footage, the Chinese passenger called Cai was seen placing his shoulder bag on the inspection tray for the final checkpoint. As he passed through the Advanced Imaging Technology Machine (AITM), the screening officer was rummaging through his shoulder bag on the table as part of her "manual search."

APD's report noted that she "suspiciously turned away while apparently holding something in her left hand with her fist tightly-closed...She then swiftly placed something on her left torso/waist area, and went back to the inspection table."

The complaint was brought to authorities when Cai noticed his wallet was open with missing cash. He confronted the screening officer.

In her panic, she turned her back on Cai to swallow the bills, only to face another CCTV that caught everything on camera. The report noted that she was "clearly seen deliberately swallowing the dollar bills, folded into one small piece" while using a handkerchief to cover her mouth.

Her supervisor might be in on it too, as she was seen approaching the security screening officer to "apparently ensure that the bills are dispatched to preclude any evidence" as per the report.

What the Office for Transportation Security has to say about the incident

The Office for Transportation Security (OTS) continues to investigate the matter, but it was reported that Cai refused to file a formal complaint before leaving for his flight.

Caught on CCTV: NAIA Screening Officer Stuffed $300 Inside Her Mouth in Alleged Theft (msn.com)

AA1gYWaI.jpg

Caught on CCTV: NAIA Screening Officer Stuffed $300 Inside Her Mouth in Alleged Theft

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It would have been more impressive if she stuffed around P17,000 into her mouth.  Her gagging reflex would have made news around the world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Did you see the story of the USA TSA guy caught on cctv stealing stuff from baggage he was inspecting?...

Me thinks this is a world wide problem. Not just in the Phil.

am i wrong.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

It can be recalled that the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) issued a "no pocket policy" for security personnel in March following several incidents of passenger theft. This bans security screening officers from wearing jackets and uniforms with pockets.

Hollywood would have us believe that cartel drug organisations have their workers process their substances in their underwear to prevent theft; I wonder if that's where they got the idea?

55 minutes ago, scott h said:

Did you see the story of the USA TSA guy caught on cctv stealing stuff from baggage he was inspecting?...

Me thinks this is a world wide problem. Not just in the Phil.

am i wrong.jpg

Employee theft is a world-wide phenomenon even in workplaces where staff are vetted very thoroughly.  The incidents that make the news are suspected to be a drop in the ocean.  It's a bit like the high-profile drug busts being a very small percentage of the product that actually gets through. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

During my time working we had 2 separate office staff caught embezzling, one for a few thousand dollars but one for over thirty thousand dollars.  Plus one workshop supervisor.

That's not counting various bits and pieces that went missing over the years, up to and including an entire (almost new) tool kit (we never did catch that one).

It's definitely not restricted to just the Philippines.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It's definitely not restricted to just the Philippines.

During my working life, a supervisor once tested employees by leaving approx. $1,000 lying about in an area where no one was watching.  It was a trap, being monitored by camera.  I was interviewed and told that I passed.  I told the boss something like this:  You can leave $1,000 or $10,000 or even $100,000 lying around and its not worth my future to touch it.  But do not leave a million in small bills lying around where I would have the opportunity to grab it and scram to Mexico before anyone else got to work.  I'd be tempted by that.

He did not seem to like my honesty or my attempt at humour.  Hmmm.  But interestingly enough, I know that a few got caught and fired, just like the NAIA officer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

An update to the story. 

Airport personnel says she swallowed chocolates, not dollars

The Office of Transportation Security (OTS) personnel allegedly behind the recent theft at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 said she swallowed chocolates, not the missing $300.

According to a "24 Oras" report by Joseph Morong on Thursday, a supplemental affidavit was submitted by the implicated staff to insist that she did not steal and swallow the money.

Despite this, the OTS fact finding team was not convinced.

The OTS earlier placed the said staff member, along with her supervisor and another personnel who handed her the bottled water, under preventive suspension.  They are also facing an administrative case for grave misconduct.

Possible theft charges may also be filed against them if proven guilty.

At least 14 other OTS personnel who were on duty on the same day are also being investigated.

Meanwhile, Manila International Airport Authority officer-in-charge Bryan Co expressed his dismay over the recent incident, saying this jeopardizes the efforts to improve NAIA'S services.

Transportation Secretary Jaime Bautista also recommended a maximum penalty for any airport personnel proven guilty over the incident.—Jiselle Anne Casucian/LDF, GMA Integrated News

Airport personnel says she swallowed chocolates, not dollars (msn.com)

• Haha 2

BLM
Posted
Posted

At Cubi Point, back in the 80's, all the Snap On tools were missing from the maintenance hangar. No other tools of lesser value were touched. Monkeys took the blame. "Snap On tools are shinier so they like them more and have taken them all out into the jungle." So there's a treasure trove of tools out there in the jungle still today, about 100 thousand dollars worth.

stock-vector-monkey-with-wrench-344625077.jpg

• Haha 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

During my working life, a supervisor once tested employees by leaving approx. $1,000 lying about in an area where no one was watching.  It was a trap, being monitored by camera.  I was interviewed and told that I passed.  I told the boss something like this:  You can leave $1,000 or $10,000 or even $100,000 lying around and its not worth my future to touch it.  But do not leave a million in small bills lying around where I would have the opportunity to grab it and scram to Mexico before anyone else got to work.  I'd be tempted by that.

He did not seem to like my honesty or my attempt at humour.  Hmmm.  But interestingly enough, I know that a few got caught and fired, just like the NAIA officer.

Genuine question - why? Was there a problem with theft or was the supervisor creating one? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee said:

An update to the story. 

Airport personnel says she swallowed chocolates, not dollars

Airport personnel says she swallowed chocolates, not dollars (msn.com)

Were the chocolates wrapped in 100 dollar bills? :whistling:

• Haha 4