Caught on CCTV: NAIA Screening Officer Stuffed $300 Inside Her Mouth in Alleged Theft

RBM
Posted
Posted

Sadly corruption is ingrained in the culture and expected.

Recently went to pick up some documents from local barangay, they demanded P1000, yes no typo mistake, they knew I needed them and there was no choice. My feeling was if I tried to go higher up it make no difference.

• Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

OTS looking into possible syndicate behind missing $300 at NAIA

Reminds me of a story I have told before.  In around 1994 I had moved from working at LAX airport to the corporate office in San Fran.  In 1995, at the LAX office, money and valuables were disappearing from packages at an alarming rate.  No CCTV at that time.  They hired a security manager for the first time.  Sharp guy, Curtis, ex LAPD detective.  If I recall correctly, he did start installing some cameras in the warehouse.  CCTV was just kicking in around then, with those big bulky cameras.

The thefts continued.  Customers were not supposed to ship cash or valuables, but they did anyway.  Especially to countries like Philippines, Thailand, etc.  They would try to hide it within the package.  The perpetrators knew this and this helped them target their efforts.  So, Curtis hired a plant.  Big Samoan guy and apparently this was the second time he had used him.  It took 3-4 months to get the evidence.  I was surprised when the company did not prosecute.  Maybe for publicity reasons.  Fired about 10 guys, the "syndicate".  All from the AM shift.  I had known some of them since 1983 but I did not consider any of them friends.  Kinda low life guys.  However, their supervisor was a very good friend and my sports buddy.  He had no idea how it was happening.

They had a system and when multiple employees are involved, it makes it easier.  When cargo containers were loaded for a destination, often the container would be parked on the tarmac for hours before departure.  Two or three guys would go into the container and others were positioned at key points as lookouts.  The shipments first targeted would be personal shipments as opposed to business shipments.  Easily recognized by hand written airbills and personal addresses.  Slit open, inspect and reseal with "inspected for customs purposes" tape.  This was going on for a few years and they probably raked in thousands and thousands of dollars, which they apparently split between the members.

Even today, with modern security measures, if employees work together, they can thwart security measures.  I went to S&R Dau yesterday.  They reinstituted the parking card system, and when I was leaving, they were inspecting employees motorcycles.  Made them open up the seat and inspect everything.  They must be having increased "shrinkage".

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Even today, with modern security measures, if employees work together, they can thwart security measures.  I went to S&R Dau yesterday.  They reinstituted the parking card system, and when I was leaving, they were inspecting employees motorcycles.  Made them open up the seat and inspect everything.  They must be having increased "shrinkage".

Sure, because showing people you don't trust them is always a great way to encourage honesty.

I see it at SM City all the time - the most cursory of searches of employees leaving the supermarket or appliance store that wouldn't find anything.  I'm sure the theft of 55" TVs and refrigerators is commonplace amongst staff in the appliance store!  If it's cash they're looking for then the search they carry out wouldn't find any anyway - smoke and mirrors IMHO.  It's just another example of the culture of trust no-one.  

It's comical reading the stories about the latest airport theft - what was the outcome of the one a few months ago involving the Thai tourist? Any update?  

Edited by hk blues

Possum
Posted
Posted

One official was complaining about the incidents at NAIA saying,"The airport is the first and last impression people have of the Philippine government."

He didn't say the impression was not accurate. :laugh:

longway
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

what was the outcome of the one a few months ago involving the Thai tourist? Any update?  

Good question; Anyone hear the outcome?

I heard there is a three strikes rule before firing of the airport workers.  But a One Strike rule for theft  "Go to jail" would go a long way to keeping the really dumb employee acts away. If the three strike rule is True, Could the reason be because the whole dept., to the top, is corrupt and want the job protection throughout?

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, longway said:

I heard there is a three strikes rule before firing of the airport workers.  But a One Strike rule for theft  "Go to jail" would go a long way to keeping the really dumb employee acts away. If the three strike rule is True, Could the reason be because the whole dept., to the top, is corrupt and want the job protection throughout?

Probably true. Since January 935 police have been removed.

Col. Jean Fajardo, the Head of the PNP Public Information Office, revealed that some of these offenses included involvement by the dismissed officers in illegal drugs, robbery, theft, extortion, homicide, and kidnapping

No word on any being prosecuted, but they will lose their jobs.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, longway said:

37 minutes ago, Possum said:

Probably true. Since January 935 police have been removed.

Col. Jean Fajardo, the Head of the PNP Public Information Office, revealed that some of these offenses included involvement by the dismissed officers in illegal drugs, robbery, theft, extortion, homicide, and kidnapping

No word on any being prosecuted, but they will lose their jobs.

Are there enough prisons for all those crooks?

Possum
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Are there enough prisons for all those crooks?

When Manny Pacquiao was running for president a reporter asked him what he'd do first if elected he replied, "Build a mega prison to put all the crooked politicians in"

• Haha 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Possum said:

"Build a mega prison to put all the crooked politicians in"

Odd comment coming from a guy that got into a big income tax jam a few years ago.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Lee said:

Odd comment coming from a guy that got into a big income tax jam a few years ago.

Do as I say, not as I do!