"Downsizing".

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

The "Downsizing" thought has been simmering for quite some time now for our family and the semi-permanent move is within eyesight now.

I'm not exactly sure what our semi-permanent timeline definition will be since we have many family members stateside and, in the PI, but I'm ready for the majority of the time to be spent in the PI.  

Our youngest son will be graduating college in 2-1/2 years and then off to the Air Force, so only a few more temporary visits until he is contracted.

I have mentally downsized everything numerous times in the last 2 years or so every few months.

2-1/2 years will pass like a bolt of lightning and now I'm wondering how I will actually do this with one pending obstacle.

We live in a large house and own quite a few material possessions; we rent and don't own property stateside.

In addition, a 25ft x 25ft Motocross Race, Repair & Rebuild Shop with 100% complete A to Z tools, parts, lifts, tire machines, stands, compressors, etc. 30ft Race RV trailer, 20ft race trailer and 8ft utility trailer. 1 Harley-Davidison, 2 Pro racing dirtbikes, 2 minibikes and many of these items are only 5-10 years old.

I have read numerous articles on downsizing but still wondering where I will start?

I thought being 60+ and in the last quarter of life that the biggest obstacle would be either health or financial woes before making this actually happen, but that is not the case. My biggest pending obstacle is the Ol Lady thinking that we can sell everything for about the same price as we paid for everything. 

So, my plan unbeknownst to her is I think when we do our annual home trip in 2024, I will leave her there for an extra 4/6 months so I can return and initiate the "Downsizing" into motion without interference.  

We have moved many times in our marriage since I worked for Uncle Sam for 27 years, and she knows my philosophy for each move of items that we needed to downsize from. 1. Sell Away, 2. Give Away & 3. Throw Away.

So, my plan is to sell the big-ticket items at a reasonably fair price and will considerably reduce the price as the time gets closer as I do not want to be held back on my move timeline by material possessions.

I have thought about having an Auction Company come in and take care of it all but that is prohibited since we live on federal restricted property.

Now, my question for the membership.
Have any of you guys been in this similar situation "Downsizing" and if so, what was your course of action to make your move?   

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Have any of you guys been in this similar situation "Downsizing" and if so, what was your course of action to make your move?   

Yes! For me it was not so much downsizing than getting rid of a bunch of stuff I could not store or get a decent price for. Whatever you own is "used" and no one will ever give you much for it. It took awhile for my wife to accept this reality. With some of the stuff I wanted to get rid of and she wanted to keep I suggested she give to her family. If they were electric she said "NO WAY, the last thing they need is something to use more electricity." We finally reached a compromise. Give things to the poor anonymously or throw it out and let the garbage guys enjoy. We have more space and an understanding that "stuff" is just that as there is no luggage rack on a hearse.

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Possum said:

Yes! For me it was not so much downsizing than getting rid of a bunch of stuff I could not store or get a decent price for. Whatever you own is "used" and no one will ever give you much for it. It took awhile for my wife to accept this reality. With some of the stuff I wanted to get rid of and she wanted to keep I suggested she give to her family. If they were electric she said "NO WAY, the last thing they need is something to use more electricity." We finally reached a compromise. Give things to the poor anonymously or throw it out and let the garbage guys enjoy. We have more space and an understanding that "stuff" is just that as there is no luggage rack on a hearse.

Yep, been this way forever with my Ol Lady, she's second place with Emelda Marcos when it comes to shoes..:89:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

We have moved many times in our marriage since I worked for Uncle Sam for 27 years, and she knows my philosophy for each move of items that we needed to downsize from. 1. Sell Away, 2. Give Away & 3. Throw Away.

Your 1,2,3 is exactly what we did prior to our permanent move to the Philippines 10 years ago.  We had planned on this being permanent so we shipped about 1 dozen BB boxes the did the 1,2,3.

Ours was rushed so we probably did not get back as much money as we could given more time.  I like your idea of doing it step by step over time.  Maybe take inventory and do a 1,2,3 for 10-15% of your "stuff" every 3-4 months?  Gives you time to make better decisions, evaluate worth, etc.

Retired, sold the house, two vehicles, almost all our stuff, and flew to the Philippines in a two week span.  Crap was that ever a challenge.  The last vehicle (3rd) was my pickup which I used to carry several loads of stuff to the dump.  Left the pickup with a friend and power of attorney to sell for me.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Possum,

Check this out....I have 2/3 items of collection that I've been carrying around or storing while moving around the States and three other Continents since 1981 that need to be sold.

1, An album collection (vinyl 78s, long play) from the 60s, 70s, & 80s with many of the #1 stars of Rock, Country & Contemporary, a few still in plastic seal.

2, Pepsi Collector Set Glasses of (from the Hardees Burger joints) , the " Luney Tune Cartoon Characters" glasses, I started collecting these around 1975/76, a different glass each week and culminated the whole series twice with a 2-mile bicycle ride in the 70s.

3, Various AR15 Platforms and many other small arms under the 50 Cal project.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

Your 1,2,3 is exactly what we did prior to our permanent move to the Philippines 10 years ago.  We had planned on this being permanent so we shipped about 1 dozen BB boxes the did the 1,2,3.

Ours was rushed so we probably did not get back as much money as we could given more time.  I like your idea of doing it step by step over time.  Maybe take inventory and do a 1,2,3 for 10-15% of your "stuff" every 3-4 months?  Gives you time to make better decisions, evaluate worth, etc.

Retired, sold the house, two vehicles, almost all our stuff, and flew to the Philippines in a two week span.  Crap was that ever a challenge.  The last vehicle (3rd) was my pickup which I used to carry several loads of stuff to the dump.  Left the pickup with a friend and power of attorney to sell for me.

My new pickup is less than a year old, will pass onto my son.

This way he's obligated to pick up / drop us off at the Airports..:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 9/24/2023 at 2:09 AM, MotorSarge said:

Now, my question for the membership.

I took pretty much the same course of action you outlined, however I got lucky in one aspect.  I had 3 semi trucks and an almost new F-350.   I sold them all last year and got very good prices for them as the used truck / car market prices were quite high. Same with all my shop equipment, managed to get good prices for everything as well. 

Knowing a few years ago I was going to retire and move to the Phils, I sold my house (fully furnished) and moved into an RV (will be selling that this year when I go back). For my personal possessions I looked at each item and asked my self if I really needed it or simply wanted it? Was it worth it to pack and ship or bring in a suitcase? I don’t have many family heirlooms, so the decisions were not too complicated. What I didn’t sell online or at a garage sale I either donated to charity, gave to friends / family or threw away. 

I do still have a few things in the USA that I keep at in my cousins house that I haven’t brought here yet; or need to sell (some larger items like a snap-on tool box). Chief among them is my very low mileage and very well taken of ‘03 Harley FLHRSEI. It’s not worth it to ship it here (or is it?), but I don’t want to part with it yet. Maybe instead of being cremated I’ll opt for a traditional burial and have the Harley buried with me. Who says you can’t it with it you! 🤣

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I took pretty much the same course of action you outlined, however I got lucky in one aspect.  I had 3 semi trucks and an almost new F-350.   I sold them all last year and got very good prices for them as the used truck / car market prices were quite high. Same with all my shop equipment, managed to get good prices for everything as well. 

Knowing a few years ago I was going to retire and move to the Phils, I sold my house (fully furnished) and moved into an RV (will be selling that this year when I go back). For my personal possessions I looked at each item and asked my self if I really needed it or simply wanted it? Was it worth it to pack and ship or bring in a suitcase? I don’t have many family heirlooms, so the decisions were not too complicated. What I didn’t sell online or at a garage sale I either donated to charity, gave to friends / family or threw away. 

I do still have a few things in the USA that I keep at in my cousins house that I haven’t brought here yet; or need to sell (some larger items like a snap-on tool box). Chief among them is my very low mileage and very well taken of ‘03 Harley FLHRSEI. It’s not worth it to ship it here (or is it?), but I don’t want to part with it yet. Maybe instead of being cremated I’ll opt for a traditional burial and have the Harley buried with me. Who says you can’t it with it you! 🤣

Thank you & Hilarious Gator....Absolute love your reply with a sprinkle of sarcasm (truth) at the end..:cheersty:

• Thanks 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

One thing I don't want to do is put onto the shoulders of my eldest brothers and families in the US. is the handling of any lengthy legal documents & funeral issues, or storage unit issues if I should pass away in the PI.

So, all of my very personal items and many sentimental items will go at some very soon point in time....I like the in the 1, 2, 3 method to keep life issues at a minimal stress factor for family members.

• Like 1

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted
On 9/24/2023 at 2:09 AM, MotorSarge said:

I made the mistake of bringing to much.   Also made the mistake of storing stuff(junk).  Still have boxes of junk that don't really want,  that take up space.

Most of the stuff that I wanted can be gotten here.

Most cars and large motorcycles are not good here.  The roads are different in and out of the city.  Rain and Sun make a pleasure ride on a bike not as much fun.  For me that is one of the largest negatives living here.

Hand tools of good quality and anything gas powered is good to bring.

If I could do it over,  I would follow your 1 2 3 plan.

TV and such,  just buy it here.

Computers,  bring.

Most of the clothing is going to be different.

I

• Like 2