"Downsizing".

Possum
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Related - I read an article this morning on what they call Swedish Death Cleaning and apparently we should start doing this at age 47.  This means going through all your 'stuff' and start clearing it all away so that your children don't need to do it.  Most (if not all) of the stuff we cart around with us from place-to-place and never actually look at or use will end up in landfill before we are cold in the grave! 

or you can go out of town for a month while getting divorced. Come home and everything is cleaned out. Worked for me many years ago.

• Haha 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Possum said:

or you can go out of town for a month while getting divorced. Come home and everything is cleaned out. Worked for me many years ago.

I laughed at that even though I probably shouldn't have! 

• Haha 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Tell me about it.  I think this is a Filipino thing.  We are downsizing again and have had multiple garage sales over the past weeks.  All the good stuff that has value she asks me to lookup the price we paid in my Microsoft Money and then prices things based on that original price.  She has sold over p20,000 worth of stuff but we have much more to go, and not much time.

When I moved to PH she flew over for a month to help me with downsizing.  I sold everything at bargain prices.  TVs, furniture, everything.  I ended up sending about 35 BB boxes and I wish I had sent less.  I have a lot of things from my travels that are good memories.  Now I am packing them again!

Thats why I stated the next time we do our annual trip I will leave her there for a few extra months to get the downsizing project going.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I found out who my real friends were whilst downsizing. I had some turn up with vans to take stuff, being friends I just told them to help themselves and just give me a decent price. Mostly tools and locks as my final job was a locksmith. I helped one " FRIEND" load his small van with about £2k worth of locks and as we finished he handed me £40. I said seriously and pulled out just one box of paddlocks with two Ingersol padlocks which alone were over £100 each. In the end I gave most of my things to the new owner of my home. I called him the night before he was due to move in and gave him the option of taking everything where it was or I'd throw it in a skip.

All I can suggest is if you are thinking of moving here start selling things months in advance as the final days soon fly in. I'd have arrived with a good £5k ( 350k peso} more if I'd sold most of my things even at a 50% reduction. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I found out who my real friends were whilst downsizing. I had some turn up with vans to take stuff, being friends I just told them to help themselves and just give me a decent price. Mostly tools and locks as my final job was a locksmith. I helped one " FRIEND" load his small van with about £2k worth of locks and as we finished he handed me £40. I said seriously and pulled out just one box of paddlocks with two Ingersol padlocks which alone were over £100 each. In the end I gave most of my things to the new owner of my home. I called him the night before he was due to move in and gave him the option of taking everything where it was or I'd throw it in a skip.

All I can suggest is if you are thinking of moving here start selling things months in advance as the final days soon fly in. I'd have arrived with a good £5k ( 350k peso} more if I'd sold most of my things even at a 50% reduction. 

When we left the UK we did a few car boot sales and then a couple of weeks before the move we (I - my wife had already gone) told the neighbours to pop in and see if there was anything they wanted - small stuff free, bigger stuff for whatever they wanted to pay. I also sold/donated a few things through the local rag. Finally, sold a few bigger things to the new owners and also agreed with them that everything left was theirs to do whatever the wished.

I earned the nickname David Dickinson amongst my colleagues due to the amount of time I spent on the phone selling stuff!

• Like 4