News that didn't make the news.

Lee
Posted
Posted

Tacloban has a FB page where locals often post their complaints, announcements, ads, etc.

I found this little news nugget a few days back. No way to verify the story and the wife had to interpret the text.

Seems that there is a 9 yr old boy who spends his time panhandling downtown. Locals say that he could get quite aggressive if he doesn't get his way. Recently the boy was at a park where he spied a car that had spare change laying in the console. He couldn't get into the car to steal the change so what does he do? He sets the car on fire.

He was arrested but what can you really do to a 9 yr old? Why wasn't he in school, where is his parents---does he even have parents? IDK

car fire.jpg

boy fire.jpg

• Sad 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Lee said:

He couldn't get into the car to steal the change so what does he do? He sets the car on fire.

Hopefully when Is a bit older he can emigrate to Portland and start his career with Antifa.

• Haha 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The 9-year-old appears to be well dressed based on the limited photo.  It's probably not a poverty issue.  I think they need a psychiatrist or psychologist to determine the root cause of his problem.  If not, they can place him in juvenile detention until old enough to move to Portland, Oregon.  OnMyWay will provide the address for Antifa HQ.  

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

OnMyWay will provide the address for Antifa HQ.  

100 Main St., Portland 

Clermont
Posted
Posted

An old Australian phase comes to mind, “ Spare the rod, spoil the kid,” 

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Clermont said:

An old Australian phase comes to mind, “ Spare the rod, spoil the kid,” 

The vast majority of health professionals say that the opposite is actually what is likely to happen.  Children do need discipline as they mature, but beating, whipping, verbal abuse, etc. are detrimental to the child and can cause life long mental/emotional problems.  In the US physical parental punishment which used to be acceptable can now be considered criminal and rightfully so.   One of the things I love about the Philippine culture is the loving way that children are raised by parents, family, and the community at large.  Children are nurtured and consequently they feel valued, loved, and safe.  

• Like 2

Tellamugalie
Posted
Posted

Malda doesn't look happy. 

Lee
Posted
Posted

Very good news for the locals.

The construction of the Hanging Bridge at Barangay Tinubdan (Sitio Basud) Palompon Leyte is complete! Residents of Sitio Basud can now safely and conveniently access their homes, unlike before when they had to cross the river on foot. 
The Blessing and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for this Hanging Bridge was officiated by Rev. Fr. Ramon Fian Jr. last September 02, 2023. It was a joyous occasion attended by myself, Vice Mayor Ferdinand T. Dela Calzada, Sangguniang Bayan members, PNP Officials, Brgy. Tinubdan officials led by Barangay Captain Marwine N. Mingasca, and the constituents of Sitio Basud.
We hope that through this hanging bridge we can make the lives of Sitio Basud's residents even better.   (Translation)

br2.jpgbridge.jpg

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Is this just for walking or will they let scooters cross also?

Lee1154
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

The vast majority of health professionals say that the opposite is actually what is likely to happen.  Children do need discipline as they mature, but beating, whipping, verbal abuse, etc. are detrimental to the child and can cause life long mental/emotional problems.  In the US physical parental punishment which used to be acceptable can now be considered criminal and rightfully so.   One of the things I love about the Philippine culture is the loving way that children are raised by parents, family, and the community at large.  Children are nurtured and consequently they feel valued, loved, and safe.  

Are these the same "professionals" that have the highest rate of suicide?  I was raised getting spanked if I continually disobeyed the rules and learned how to respect the rules and the older generation and to other people in general.  The newer generations as a whole seem to have no respect for anyone else.  There are exceptions but the vast majority are a "me" generation.  You mention the raising of Philippine children.  If they were raised so well, why does the majority of the culture have zero respect for rules, laws and manners.  How often do you see a man open a door for a woman here?  How often you you see someone give way to an elderly person?  Yes, there are exceptions but as a rule just go to the local mall and watch the people's behavior as they go through the entrance.  I will agree that "beating" is wrong but sometimes when their ears will not listen, talk to their butt.

Edited by Lee1154
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1