News that didn't make the news.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Lee1154 said:

Are these the same "professionals" that have the highest rate of suicide?  I was raised getting spanked if I continually disobeyed the rules and learned how to respect the rules and the older generation and to other people in general.  The newer generations as a whole seem to have no respect for anyone else.  There are exceptions but the vast majority are a "me" generation.  You mention the raising of Philippine children.  If they were raised so well, why does the majority of the culture have zero respect for rules, laws and manners.  How often do you see a man open a door for a woman here?  How often you you see someone give way to an elderly person?  Yes, there are exceptions but as a rule just go to the local mall and watch the people's behavior as they go through the entrance.  I will agree that "beating" is wrong but sometimes when their ears will not listen, talk to their butt.

I dont know, and I dont necessarily agree.  I was raised with a belt and whatever happened to be nearby.  Not just by my parents but my aunt as well.  I was an absolute hellion growing up.   I never once hit my son, not one time, and he grew up to be a very fine young (will not so young anymore) man.  He is responsible, a great father, a great husband, a hard worker, respectful etc. etc. etc. etc.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My two cents -

Like most countries the UK has outlawed corporal punishment in schools and indeed anywhere.  The UK has also seen the same perceived decline in behaviours amongst the younger generations - the idea that the two are clearly connected is a leap.  Isn't it pretty much accepted that violence breeds violence then the idea that physical punishment leads to better children seems debatable?

Personally, I have never struck my son (albeit it's tempting at times) and my father rarely, but not never, struck me.  The few times he did it was for very bad behaviour and probably justified for that era. That said, I was often given 'the belt' or worse still 'the cane' at school - interestingly, we were often given the choice of belt/cane or some other punishment and never did anyone choose the 'other' option so perhaps that is a big clue as to how effective corporal punishment was in the eyes of kids.  

Times change and the idea that striking a child is a good thing belongs in the past IMO.  I'm not saying it's never acceptable but in only the most exceptional circumstances and even then it should be seen as nothing more than a punishment rather than a corrective action.  

• Like 3

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

Each child is different.  I remember my oldest daughter.  If she knew that she had disappointed us, it seemed to break her heart.  Talking to her was all that was ever needed.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree with a lot of the text, but I’ve reread my posting and even between the lines there was no mention of flogging a kid. It is a phase, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I agree with a lot of the text, but I’ve reread my posting and even between the lines there was no mention of flogging a kid. It is a phase, nothing more, nothing less.

I think most of us saw that, but it's still an interesting debate with no judgement either way as to how parents disciplined their kids in the past. Times have changed though. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Clermont said:

I was never of the opinion that you approved of flogging, my apologies if I caused offense.  I and my siblings were beaten on a fairly regular basis when I was growing up.  A bit of a hot button for me.  Loved and respected my dad, but what he did was wrong.  In their later years both parents admitted that the whippings should not have happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
On 9/26/2023 at 7:33 AM, Lee said:

Recently the boy was at a park where he spied a car that had spare change laying in the console. He couldn't get into the car to steal the change so what does he do? He sets the car on fire.

Update.

The 9 year old with the pyro tendencies has been placed in a rehab center north of town.

Both of his parents had abandoned him so he was living with his GM.

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

The 9 year old with the pyro tendencies has been placed in a rehab center north of town.

Pyro rehab?  Is that where they wean you off pyro by having you set smaller and smaller fires until you are fire-free?

• Haha 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

I'm sure that these young peoples math and English scores are top notch.

The Manaybanay National High School was the winner of the Pamagpagan Festival of Pastrana,Leyte,Oct.3 as part of the activities of the town fiesta in honor of St.Francis of Assessi,Oct.4 with the family of Mayor Marites Cayaco Marcos as the hermana.

3.jpg1.jpg

• Like 1