Renewal of expired passport between Visa Extensions and ACR cards.

TrevorH
Posted
Posted

It seems that every time I apply for a Visa Extension, something unexpected turns up.
This time I have to pay P6,000.00 to transfer data from my old to my new passport. My passport was renewed after my last Visa Extension.
I find this strange because for some time now, BI has not been stamping Visa Extensions in passports, nor applying those little yellow stickers.
I wonder therefore what data is to be transferred. Surely the best they could do would be to copy all the pages of my old passport and file them.
Which brings me to ACR cards. Can anybody tell me what purpose they serve. I got one some years ago, nobody ever asked to see it, then it expired some years ago.
Now I'm told I need an identity (ACR) card.
I have tried to check out the validity of these requirements, but notice that since the BI has introduced its very limited "E" service, "www.immigration.gov.ph"
has become redundant and is no longer accessible.
How are we supposed to check requirements, fees and charges?

• Tommy T. featured this topic
hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, TrevorH said:

It seems that every time I apply for a Visa Extension, something unexpected turns up.
This time I have to pay P6,000.00 to transfer data from my old to my new passport. My passport was renewed after my last Visa Extension.
I find this strange because for some time now, BI has not been stamping Visa Extensions in passports, nor applying those little yellow stickers.
I wonder therefore what data is to be transferred. Surely the best they could do would be to copy all the pages of my old passport and file them.
Which brings me to ACR cards. Can anybody tell me what purpose they serve. I got one some years ago, nobody ever asked to see it, then it expired some years ago.
Now I'm told I need an identity (ACR) card.
I have tried to check out the validity of these requirements, but notice that since the BI has introduced its very limited "E" service, "www.immigration.gov.ph"
has become redundant and is no longer accessible.
How are we supposed to check requirements, fees and charges?

Haven't they asked to see your ACR when you renewed your Visa?  

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Haven't they asked to see your ACR when you renewed your Visa?  

Haven't they asked to see your ACR every year when you have to check with local BI?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Does not matter, that's how it is when changing passports.

ARC are renewed every year. There is no purpose for tourists other than a fee and to register one as an alien staying in the country.

No point fighting the "whys" as it will never do you any good. 

• Like 4

• Tommy T. unfeatured this topic
TrevorH
Posted
Posted

Never been asked, and I have renewed after the ACR expired. I've never been for annual check.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Lee said:

Haven't they asked to see your ACR every year when you have to check with local BI?

Yes...when I do my Annual Return. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, TrevorH said:

Never been asked, and I have renewed after the ACR expired. I've never been for annual check.

I'd have thought they'd ask for the ACR at each renewal but obviously not.  I don't have a tourist visa but am required to report annually for my 13a Visa and they always ask for a copy of the latest ACR.  

Anyhow, as per post above there is no point trying to apply logic to how things work here and the experience each of us have with different BI offices vary.   

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't have a tourist visa but am required to report annually for my 13a Visa

The annual report isn't connected to the 13a Visa,  all foreigners need to report regardless of what Visa they're on.

6 hours ago, TrevorH said:

ACR cards. Can anybody tell me what purpose they serve.

Identification, that includes your Visa status. You could use it if using a credit card, or applying for internet, or getting police clearance, etc.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

all foreigners need to report regardless of what Visa they're on.

Yes and no. Only if you stay 6 months or more. It’s not required for stays less then 180 days. 

• Like 2

starrt
Posted
Posted

Basically, the government wants to know where all long term stay foreigners are. That is mainly what the annual ACR registration is for.

If anyone registers late, does not advise immediately of change of address, or whatever, then hefty fines are imposed, based on how long it was not done for.

If in doubt about anything it is best to go in person to the local office to ask your questions, even then the answers may depend on who you speak to.

• Like 2

• Tommy T. featured this topic
  • Tommy T. unfeatured this topic