Pros and cons of living in the Liloan Cebu area

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are considering moving from our condo in Cebu City to a house in a subdivision in the Yati Liloan Cebu area.  Does anyone who has lived there recently or currently lives there have any pros and/or cons of the area?  I know this is subjective and depends on your lifestyle and preferences but still it’s good to get varying opinions from others.  Do you feel like you have most of the day to day necessities nearby and only need to go into the city once in a while?  Are good grocery stores and other places to buy appliances/electronics/household items nearby like at SM Consolacion Mall?  Any pros or cons about that particular mall or other nearby malls?  Are there any major issues with living in that area other than annoyances like the traffic on the north road between there and Cebu City?  Are there too few or too many foreigners, are there any expat groups in the area?  These are just random questions that came to mind and were just conversation starters and not really a checklist.  I’m just trying to get a feel for how it is to live there as a foreigner. 

One thing that I am probably overthinking, but how difficult is it to get a taxi from the area into Cebu City?  We do have a car but there are times we still need some other form of transportation like when the car is in the shop or we are not feeling well or we just want to go different places at the same time.  I have taken a taxi from the city but never tried to find one out there.  I’m hoping that Grab Taxi would be available out there but the times I have been out that way there seemed to be very few.  Either that or perhaps having some local taxi companies on speed dial.  Maybe someday I might be brave enough to try to catch a public bus which seem plentiful on the north road.  Off topic slightly, but the other day there was a lot of street flooding in Cebu City and it was 5:00 pm on a Friday and all of the regular and Grab taxis were busy so I wound up taking a public bus from the Mambaling area to the south bus terminal and then waiting quite a while before getting a taxi from there to the condo but I was with my wife’s parents and just followed their lead on how to catch the bus, the bus ride was fine and was super affordable but I don’t think I could have done that on my own yet since I am not familiar with the various buses. 

Anyway, I’m interested in any opinions about the Yati Liloan area that you guys have.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have never been there but why not book an AirBnb there for a week or two, in the area you are thinking about., and get a feel for it?  That would give you a good feel for traffic and other things.  Looks like there are quite a few for decent prices.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

My wife and I are considering moving from our condo in Cebu City to a house in a subdivision in the Yati Liloan Cebu area. 

Buying or renting? If you can get a good deal, meaning a much lower price than a city subdivision, it's probably worth it. The only problem in the subdivisions there is the houses tend to be really small. I like Liloan though, traffic to the city is terrible (everywhere) but there  are two decent malls, building another, plus a new port. It's a nice balance between city and province. One thing to consider is that there is massive development around SRP Cebu City, and many are moving in that direction as they expect it to be a major destination, and  Liloan is the other direction.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

My experience is from 10 years ago when I was spending a lot of time there. The worst was the traffic, the best was close proximity to Camotes Danao and access to central Cebu where we did a heap of off rode riding. 

Doubtful the traffic has improved, for myself to live there would appeal more than central Cebu but each to their own.

• 2 weeks later...
UK Mark Reporter
Posted
Posted

I think Davao is a good choice.
There are many benefits to living in the Davao Region, a region in the southern Philippines that includes Davao City. Here are some possible benefits:

Beautiful Natural Scenery: The Davao region is blessed with magnificent natural scenery, including beautiful beaches, tropical rainforests, mountains, and waterfalls. This gives residents the opportunity to relax in nature and enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, diving and surfing.

Warm climate: The climate in the Davao region is generally warm, which means you can enjoy pleasant weather all year round. This is an important advantage for people who enjoy outdoor living.

Low cost of living: The cost of living in the Davao region is relatively low, including housing rentals, food, and services. This makes the area one of the most affordable places to live.

Friendly Community: Residents of the Davao region are generally considered friendly and welcoming, and this friendly atmosphere can make foreigners feel welcome and easily integrated into the community.

Economic Opportunities: Davao City is one of the largest cities in the Philippines and offers many employment and business opportunities. Additionally, the region is also an important center for agriculture and mining, so there are a variety of career options.

Cultural diversity: The Davao region has rich culture and traditions, and a diverse population, making it a culturally diverse region where you can experience different cultures and festivals.

Safety: The Davao region is generally considered a relatively safe place, meaning residents can live with greater confidence.

However, just like anywhere, living in the Davao region can present some challenges, such as traffic congestion, natural disasters (such as typhoons), etc. Before considering relocating to this area, it is recommended to carefully research and consider personal needs and preferences to ensure the area is suitable for your lifestyle.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

>Low cost of living: The cost of living in the Davao region is relatively low, including housing rentals, food, and services. This makes the area one of the most affordable places to live.<

May I add to the above post. Davao is not what I would refer to as inexpensive living. Housing, real estate and food costs have skyrocketed in the past few years. Sure, for me it is still affordable, but fuel, food and housing is getting pricey. I do not have experience in other cities or provinces, but I would have a difficult time confirming the above quote. Perhaps I am talking out of school.... The traffic is awful, especially in heavy rains or after dark. I try not to drive after dark...

May I also ask the sources of the comments and observations of this poster? Not that I doubt him really, but I just want to read the sources....

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

May I also ask the sources of the comments and observations of this poster? Not that I doubt him really, but I just want to read the sources....

I get the feeling it is an AI post. Might be wrong but it seems to follow the formula.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, UK Mark Reporter said:

I think Davao is a good choice.

What has this got to do with the OP's post?  Davao is not Cebu so why mention it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Possum said:

I get the feeling it is an AI post. Might be wrong but it seems to follow the formula.

Im in the mood to ban everyone so will see whats next :ohmy:

• Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Possum said:

Interesting.  Those were also my thoughts also as I read the post about Davao.  So I decided to see what Google Bard AI would say about Davao.  Response is below.

Here are some pros and cons of living in the Davao area:

Pros:

• Affordable cost of living: The cost of living in Davao is significantly lower than in other major cities in the Philippines and around the world. This makes it a great option for budget-conscious travelers and retirees.
  • Beautiful natural surroundings: Davao is known for its stunning natural beauty, with mountains, rainforests, and beaches all within a short distance of the city.
  • Friendly and welcoming people: Davaoeños are known for being warm and friendly people. They are always happy to help newcomers and make them feel welcome.
  • Safe and secure: Davao is one of the safest cities in the Philippines. It has a low crime rate and a strong police presence.
  • Good infrastructure: Davao has a well-developed infrastructure, with good roads, public transportation, and utilities.
  • Growing economy: Davao's economy is growing rapidly, with new businesses and industries emerging all the time. This creates many opportunities for employment and investment.

Cons:

• Hot and humid climate: Davao has a tropical climate, which means that it is hot and humid year-round. This can be uncomfortable for some people, especially those who are not used to it.
  • Traffic congestion: Davao can experience heavy traffic congestion, especially during peak hours.
  • Limited public transportation: The public transportation system in Davao is not as extensive as in other major cities in the Philippines. This can make it difficult to get around without a car or motorcycle.
  • Distance from other major cities: Davao is located in the southernmost part of the Philippines, which means that it is a long way from other major cities in the country. This can make it difficult and expensive to travel to other parts of the Philippines or abroad.

Overall, Davao is a great place to live for people who are looking for a safe, affordable, and beautiful place to live. However, it is important to be aware of the hot and humid climate, traffic congestion, limited public transportation, and distance from other major cities before making the decision to move there.