Rent or Buy?

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Those type of leases are different.

What monthly fee do you mean?  As far as I know, these SBMA residential leases are all cash up front when the lease is obtained from SBMA.

Right, I meant that in contracts where the lessee buys or builds the house (leasehold agreement), the payment(s) to lease the land would be significantly less.

For example this:

3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The rich guy who bought mine is going to do major renovations

And since he doesn't own the house, he likely needs to ask permission to renovate. But if you own the house (and foreigners can own this type of house) you could do anything up to and including complete demolition.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

Right, I meant that in contracts where the lessee buys or builds the house (leasehold agreement), the payment(s) to lease the land would be significantly less.

Yes, but of course it should be based on the value of the land, so a hectare in BGC will be a huge value, whereas a hectare in the province will be a fraction of that.

There are 67,000 + hectares in the old Navy base.  A lot is still jungle.  Some of it is dedicated to Aeta indians.  The rest is commercial and residential leased out.  They recently reevaluated the housing leasing scheme for the purpose of renewals, I think they now value it at 10,000 per square meter.

And since he doesn't own the house, he likely needs to ask permission to renovate. But if you own the house (and foreigners can own this type of house) you could do anything up to and including complete demolition.

It is basically the same here in SBFZ.  There is a building permit department and you apply for the work you want to do.  The Navy houses are built well, so it is not often you see a complete demo.  That is complicated by the fact that most "houses" are duplexes in my area, and some areas are 4 plexes.  Our new "house" is an 4 BR end unit on a 4 plex.  Some of those Navy guys had big families!

The architect who is doing the work for my buyer is doing another duplex reno around the corner that my friends used to rent.  It was the first complete demo near me.  These Navy duplexes have a thick concrete wall between the units.  So after they demo'd the right side, the other left house is still there with the thick wall standing.  Usually when a complete demo is done, they rebuild with steel beam construction.

Sometimes someone buys a duplex and converts into a single unit.  My Korean neighbor (now departed to Vancouver) bought the house across the street that was already a very nice duplex to single conversion.  He added on with steel beam construction and it is huge now.  He had to create a big doorway in the Navy concrete in the back wall, and he told me they went through several jack hammers!  He was trying to sell for 35 mil but no takers so he rented it.  He was asking 200k a month but finally rented it for 120k, according to the chismis.

Here is the biggest, most expensive house for sale.  Owned by National Book Store owners.  A 4 plex converted to one.  Lowered from 85 to 80!  10 BR.  Overpriced.  Only 22 years left on the lease.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=802325928360191&set=pcb.802327441693373

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

46 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Here is the biggest, most expensive house for sale.  Owned by National Book Store owners.  A 4 plex converted to one.  Lowered from 85 to 80!  10 BR.  Overpriced.  Only 22 years left on the lease.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=802325928360191&set=pcb.802327441693373

Love it. So basically, 300k a month fixed for 22 years.

It's a really interesting dynamic because you're overpaying compared to every other option, but you're getting what no other option in the country offers.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Love it. So basically, 300k a month fixed for 22 years.

It's a really interesting dynamic because you're overpaying compared to every other option, but you're getting what no other option in the country offers.

That one is an extreme example and they will never get that price, especially with only 22 years left..  If you looked at a normal 4 separate units that is in very good condition, you might value it at 10 mil per unit, 40 mil.  That 80 mil price is ridiculous.  There are some beautiful duplex "spider" houses that are converted to one one unit that sell for about that much, 20 mil.  Like this one.  I think this was asking 24, lowered to 20.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=802356135023837&set=pcb.802357908356993

There are a few factors that go into your actual final cost per month.  My current leased house that I just sold increased in value and I made a profit on the sale, so my per month over the 8 years is a profit, not a cost.  Even after counting in the improvements and maintenance I spent, I lived here for free + a profit.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

There are a few factors that go into your actual final cost per month.  My current leased house that I just sold increased in value and I made a profit on the sale, so my per month over the 8 years is a profit, not a cost.  Even after counting in the improvements and maintenance I spent, I lived here for free + a profit.

I was just thinking about that, so if you paid 20m for 20 years, after 10 years the minimum value should be 10m, and then on top of that you add any property value increase. But that increase only happens if you sell the lease, not if it expires...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I was just thinking about that, so if you paid 20m for 20 years, after 10 years the minimum value should be 10m, and then on top of that you add any property value increase. But that increase only happens if you sell the lease, not if it expires...

No, remember, they are basically bought and sold at market value, which is whatever someone will pay.  I got "lucky" the first time, "buy low, sell high".  It could be the opposite next time if market prices are declining.

The real estate bubble is bursting in the U.S. and other countries.  If there is a global recession, I suspect PH real estate prices will fall too.

Lee
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Lowered from 85 to 80!  10 BR.  Overpriced.  Only 22 years left on the lease.

What a house---wow.

So let me understand this lease thingy clearly.

If someone bought this house for 85M Php it would give them possession of the house for the next 22 years.

After the lease expires then to stay in the house you would need to purchase another lease for whatever the market suggests the house is now worth.  Is this correct? Please advise.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lee said:

After the lease expires then to stay in the house you would need to purchase another lease for whatever the market suggests the house is now worth.  Is this correct? Please advise.

Close.  SBMA has a formula for determining the value when "renewing" the lease.  The renewal is for 25 years.

However, SBMA has been very vague about the terms of the renewals and when they can be done.  They recently announced something new that was also not clear.  The community has been complaining about this.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lee said:

After the lease expires

To add, you would never let the lease expire or you would lose it.  I think the renewal would be done 1-2 years before expiration.

I think what the residents want is to be able to add years at any time during the last 25 years.  E.g., you get down to 15 and add 25 for a total of 40.  The more years you have in the lease, the higher the market value.

• Thanks 1