Curfews in Negros Oriental, (Sat and Sunday Coming)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 10/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, hk blues said:

I am always amused to hear folk complaining about how corrupt government here is at all levels yet happily take part in the vote buying system every election.  

"You get the government your deserve." springs to my mind.

Exactly right HK. You get what you pay for and sadly Philippines government is just a reflection of the Filipino people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Must be the standard rate, the wife's brother had to go back home to get his money. 

Yeah, spend 600 on transportation and food to get 500. Don’t worry, he’ll borrow from your wife for fare to get back 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Old55 said:

sadly Philippines government is just a reflection of the Filipino people.

Not in my view Old, the people in general are just, putting it mildly brain washed, eternal dynasties, buying of votes, they are ignorant which is exactly what the elite want.  I do not believe the the government here is the true reflection of the people.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Riding my scooter this morning (Sunday) at 9:00 am.  See three older guys sitting on the ground beside the road drinking Red Horse  Not sure if they started early or just not finished drinking.   Maybe they are having a philosophical discussion about who to vote for tomorrow?  :whistling:

• Haha 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

My MIL is running for barangay council this year. Everyone in her barangay seems to like  and know her so I think she has a chance. But yesterday she said the other party was handing out 500 peso notes and her party couldn't afford that so who knows? When I mentioned that the people who got 500 peso could vote for anyone she said that is true to an extent. But the vote buyer knows how many and who was paid so some people feared retribution if they didn't vote for the vote buying party.  We'll see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Possum said:

My MIL is running for barangay council this year. Everyone in her barangay seems to like  and know her so I think she has a chance. But yesterday she said the other party was handing out 500 peso notes and her party couldn't afford that so who knows? When I mentioned that the people who got 500 peso could vote for anyone she said that is true to an extent. But the vote buyer knows how many and who was paid so some people feared retribution if they didn't vote for the vote buying party.  We'll see what happens.

Yep.

And I for one do not believe for a minute that folk are paying out large amounts of money just to win the right to serve the community for altruistic reasons. 

• Like 5

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, RBM said:

Not in my view Old, the people in general are just, putting it mildly brain washed, eternal dynasties, buying of votes, they are ignorant which is exactly what the elite want.  I do not believe the the government here is the true reflection of the people.

It has been my contention for the last 30 plus years, the wealthy/those in power, do not want things to ever change in this country, as such, things never will. 

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Possum said:

What your MIL says is true. Each candidate has poll watchers. They will know who voted for whom and they keep a tally. There is no such thing as a truly secret ballot here. 

The opponent to my MIL, who is running for reelection as barangay captain, had indicated he wound give 500 to 1k for votes. But over the last few weeks after meeting with many of the voters he learned my MIL is very well liked and has done a lot of good for the community. Although he hasn’t withdrawn from the race, he hasn’t given out one centavo to anyone because he feels the ppl won’t take his money and he can’t win. 

@hk blues To an extent you’re correct. I can’t speak to every elected official, but for my MIL she does truly have a desire to fight for and help the ppl in her community. Over the years she’s fought for and gotten funding for infrastructure projects, repairs and improvements to their small school, safe drinking water, upgraded sewer lines and various other community projects. Of course along the way she profits from it and not just financially, but in prestige, favors traded / owed and her profound belief that God will reward her (she’s a very religious lady). So yes, at least in her case as I’m sure as with many others her reasons are not entirely altruistic. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Laugh icon.jpg I am laughing but NOT really, My wife went to town to get us a Chowking, She passed 3 checkpoints BUT on the 4th sehe was sent home because she was  sleeveless and in shorts these, are the rules of course for riding a motorcycle here, although harsh it seems that this issue of Clampdowns is working in the current checkpoints, she should know better But...........................................:whistling:  

• Haha 4

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gator said:

What your MIL says is true. Each candidate has poll watchers. They will know who voted for whom and they keep a tally. There is no such thing as a truly secret ballot here.

This is quite correct. I posted this fact a few years back (somewhere else) and was told that I was FOS.

Back then it was a 20 Peso note wrapped around a cigarette lighter. Now its a lot more expensive.

If you don't vote for the candidate while taking his $ (voters will often take cash from anyone that offers it to them) and he happens to win then you can expect repercussions. Any decision that the newly elected barangay guy makes will never be in your favor---regardless of the situation. What can you do???

Edited by Lee