Possibility Of Medicare Coverage In The Philippines!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This would be huge for some of us Americans living in the Philippines!  Take it with a grain of salt though as it may not pass.  Jack Walker of RAO skimmed it and seems to think administration would be similar to Tricare.

H. R. 5299
A demonstration program for international coverage under the Medicare program. Introduced 23 August 2023.
https://www.govinfo.gov/.../html/BILLS-118hr5299ih.htm

To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to establish A
demonstration program for international coverage under the Medicare program.
.Implementation of 10-Year Demonstration Program.--Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this section, the Secretary shall implement a 10-year demonstration program under this title (in this section referred to as the Program) to allow Applicable Beneficiaries to apply Medicare benefits to coverage of items and services, premiums, and other cost-sharing under the health insurance systems of other countries. Through the Program, the Secretary shall make payments under subsection (e) to or on behalf of Applicable Beneficiaries participating in the Program.
Selected Countries Initial Selection.--In choosing Selected Countries for the Program, the Secretary shall initially select at least 11 distinct nations or political subdivisions thereof, which shall include Canada, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Republic of India, the State of Israel, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Panama, the United Mexican States, Dominican Republic, and at least one nation or political subdivision thereof in Africa.
Applicable Beneficiary' means an individual who--
``(A) is entitled to or enrolled for benefits under part A, and enrolled for benefits under part B;
``(B) may be enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan under part C;
``(C) is either--
``(i) a resident of the United States at the time of application to the Program who intends to relocate to a Selected Country on or after the date of such application, or is a former resident of the United States who has relocated to a Selected Country within 180 days of application to the Program; or ``(ii) a resident of a Selected Country for whom the Medicare program is at the time of application the primary payor of their health care costs.
GOVINFO.GOV
www.govinfo.gov

• Hmm thinking 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

a resident of the United States at the time of application to the Program who intends to relocate to a Selected Country on or after the date of such application, or is a former resident of the United States who has relocated to a Selected Country within 180 days of application to the Program; or ``(ii) a resident of a Selected Country for whom the Medicare program is at the time of application the primary payor of their health care costs.

These caveats would make it difficult for some of us

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I reread it a few times.  What is the concern?  I think "The program" means the Medicare program.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

What's your concern? No need for secrecy sharing could be helpful to other members.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I reread it a few times.  What is the concern?  I think "The program" means the Medicare program.

and I could be reading it incorrectly, but the last line is where I may or may not be reading it correctly " a resident of a Selected Country for whom the Medicare program is at the time of application the primary payor of their health care costs"   Since medicare is not accepted in the Philippines, they cannot be the primary payor of our healthcare costs.   Speaking for myself, I do not meet any of the 3 criteria.    Am I not reading that right?

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Old55 said:

What's your concern? No need for secrecy sharing could be helpful to other members.

hahaha wasnt trying to be secretive, was just not sure if my interpretation was correct, but the more I read it, the more I believe it will be hard to meet all 3 under "C".   Maybe as long as you meet A or B, then C does not matter?

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Just now, craftbeerlover said:

hahaha wasnt trying to be secretive, was just not sure if my interpretation was correct, but the more I read it, the more I believe it will be hard to meet all 3 under "C".   Maybe as long as you meet A or B, then C does not matter?

Being eligible for one of those indicated would provide coverage is the way I read it. On the other hand I am the forums village idiot so there's that.

Category "A" would match the majority of US citizens I would think? 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
Just now, Old55 said:

Being eligible for one of those indicated would provide coverage is the way I read it. On the other hand I am the forums village idiot so there's that.

Category "A" would match the majority of US citizens I would think? 

As I keep reading, I think you are probably correct.   If so, this is great news!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I was just getting ready to post that URL.  As I read it there could be problems for almost all of us who already are expats.

My read -Not sure about other members but I declined Part B (requirement for program) as I had no plans of returning to the USA.  That rules me (and others) out.

My read - As I read this if you have been here longer than 180 days from time of application you are not eligible.  That leave most of us who live here out (10 years for me).

My read - Medicare must, at the time of application, be the primary payer for medical.   That rules expats in the PH out because Medicate only pay in the PH.

So if it passes, it may benefit those who live in the USA now, are on Medicare, with Plan B, and plan to move to one of the selected countries.   

And that assumes of course that it will pass.   Maybe if it does pass, the rules in the future will change to cover more expats?