Possibility Of Medicare Coverage In The Philippines!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

My read -Not sure about other members but I declined Part B (requirement for program) as I had no plans of returning to the USA.  That rules me (and others) out.

This is the only problem I see.  You have not made an application for part b.  You declined.  I can't remember if you had to turn in a form to decline, or it was automatic if you did not enroll.  So I think in order to quality you have to enroll in part b and there are steep penalties for enrolling after you are 65. 

In a perfect world, they might make an exception rule for those that declined part b because they were living overseas, and let them enroll with a reduced penalty of some kind.  After this gets sorted a bit more so that reality can be determined, it might be appropriate for a letter writing campaign.  Probably would not hurt to bring it to the attention of your congressman now.

In my case, I chose to pay part b starting when I was 65, so I think I am good.  I was considering returning to the U.S. and I saw that the penalties were high.

For those who have not turned 65 yet, I don't see any issues.  Even if the bill is not passed yet, and you are turning 65, it is something to consider when making the "go or no go" decision on taking part B.  You could take it and cancel it later if it seems hopeless.  I pay ~165 USD a month for the privilege of "maybe" being able to use it.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

As I keep reading, I think you are probably correct.   If so, this is great news!

If you don't mind sharing, what your current age and Medicare situation?

Lee
Posted
Posted

I read the bill like MJ has read it----IDK. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This is the only problem I see.  You have not made an application for part b.  You declined.  I can't remember if you had to turn in a form to decline, or it was automatic if you did not enroll.  So I think in order to quality you have to enroll in part b and there are steep penalties for enrolling after you are 65. 

The penalty is an additional 10% for every year declined. 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

If you don't mind sharing, what your current age and Medicare situation?

3 more years to Medicare!!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

3 more years to Medicare!!

I think you are good to go if the bill passes!

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I think you are good to go if the bill passes!

yeah the more I read it, the more I think my initial take was wrong

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Track it here...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/5299

It has one co-sponsor at this time.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

It will never happen though good idea. The lower cost of care abroad would help the Medicare system  Would it help retirees? Of course but remember congress works for the people that pay them, not their constituents. The fact that there is one cosponsor tells you all

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Possum said:

It will never happen though good idea. The lower cost of care abroad would help the Medicare system  Would it help retirees? Of course but remember congress works for the people that pay them, not their constituents. The fact that there is one cosponsor tells you all

I agree it would help retirees, but I am not sure it would help lower cost to the Medicare system.  It seems that most expats have insurance or are self insured.  Seldom have I heard or read about an American expat who returns to the US for medical care.   The Medicare system would also have to deal with the issue of corruption.  I can see where hospitals here would jump at the chance to add a 500% long nose tax on a Medicare invoice. 

• Like 1