One (of many) of the reasons I decided to move to the Philippines....

starrt
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have been asked time and again, by family, friends, etc., why did I decide to move to the Philippines. The following article from the CBC online news pretty much sums it up.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/canadians-retirement-inflation-1.6868937

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Sad story, but that is here, there, PI, and many other places as well..:sad:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Cost of living/inflation is certainly a driving force for folks having to delay retirement.  The other side of coin, as the article points out, is that much of the problem results from excess debt and lack of financial preparedness for retirement.   I have read many financial articles that say the same is true in America.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 11/2/2023 at 4:24 AM, MotorSarge said:

Sad story, but that is here, there, PI, and many other places as well..:sad:

Yes, just about everywhere.   I know prices have at least doubled in the last 3 years here in the Philippines on many items.   For many of us in this forum, that is not a huge impact, but for those bazillions that make minimum wage here, I imagine the impact is just as severe as what is indicated in the article. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

Yes, just about everywhere.   I know prices have at least doubled in the last 3 years here in the Philippines on many items.   For many of us in this forum, that is not a huge impact, but for those bazillions that make minimum wage here, I imagine the impact is just as severe as what is indicated in the article. 

Beer hasn't!  :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Beer hasn't!  :cheers:

I can give up a lot of things, but coffee and beer would not be on that list!

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I know prices have increased but didn't realize it was that bad.  What are a few of the items where prices have doubled?

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I know prices have increased but didn't realize it was that bad.  What are a few of the items where prices have doubled?

two without even thinking about it would be pork and galunggong, even at the palengke, both doubled in price over the last 3 or 4 years

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

My wife, who does barbecue business, says pork too high to buy for her right now, so she sells other things.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

My wife, who does barbecue business, says pork too high to buy for her right now, so she sells other things.

Seems to fluctuate a lot depending on the time of the year.

Data source:  https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=pork&months=60&currency=php

image.png

• Thanks 1