One (of many) of the reasons I decided to move to the Philippines....

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

For many of us in this forum, that is not a huge impact, 

Not so sure about that, not all expats here have a pension,  many Aussies, Kiwis like myself do not qualify for pensions due to strict residency regulations, we are increasingly suffering by insane price rises, many every day goods now cheaper in western countries than here. Thank goodness for hydroponics.......

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

Thank goodness for hydroponics.......

It would be interesting to hear about your experiences with hydroponics.   Maybe you can start a new topic?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

It would be interesting to hear about your experiences with hydroponics.   Maybe you can start a new topic?

Thanks Mike, unfortunately these topics are not welcomed on public forums, please do not ask why as I have no idea.

I have 2 times on FB forums posted exhausting details of our limited experiences with hydroponics in the hope of helping others, both were turned down without reason. I was quite gutted on the first one as was a top contributor  and  spend a lot of time on the post.

For those interested there a few FB pages on the subject which started us off.

• Sad 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

I know prices have increased but didn't realize it was that bad.  What are a few of the items where prices have doubled?

Yesterday ...a small bag of 5 potatoes, now P120. One gabi ( taro ) P140. Onions , 4 in a bag P75, ginger P48.

Kimchi in my local korean store has gone from P200 to now P350.. " cabbages more expensive Sir ", another price increase next week Sir, sorry.

All these are at least double one year ago.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Yesterday ...a small bag of 5 potatoes, now P120. One gabi ( taro ) P140. Onions , 4 in a bag P75, ginger P48.

Kimchi in my local korean store has gone from P200 to now P350.. " cabbages more expensive Sir ", another price increase next week Sir, sorry.

Must be cheaper in the Provence where I am (Dumaguete)

Kimchi 500 grams 158 peso. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Sure, there are some things which have doubled in price in the past couple of years but not most things.  As I said, beer has not increased at all in my place and my electricity bill is maybe 20% up, if that.  I increased my wife's weekly shopping budget by perhaps 25% compared to 2 years ago and we still buy pretty much the same stuff.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sure, there are some things which have doubled in price in the past couple of years but not most things.  As I said, beer has not increased at all in my place and my electricity bill is maybe 20% up, if that.  I increased my wife's weekly shopping budget by perhaps 25% compared to 2 years ago and we still buy pretty much the same stuff.

Even 25% over 2 years is a lot of inflation, particularly when pension/superannuation increases lag behind as they tend to do.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:we are increasingly suffering by insane price rises, many every day goods now cheaper in western countries than here. Thank goodness for hydroponics.......

Not a chance that is happening here , when Ems goes to these shops to buy items she is missing from home she even complains about how much more money these items cost compared to back home , but things do go up over time no matter where you live , she could be in for a shock then when we go to the Philippines 

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RBM said:

Not so sure about that, not all expats here have a pension,  many Aussies, Kiwis like myself do not qualify for pensions due to strict residency regulations, we are increasingly suffering by insane price rises, many every day goods now cheaper in western countries than here. Thank goodness for hydroponics.......

you are correct, and did not mean to minimize the increase of costs at all.   Costs are for sure going up, and going up a lot the last couple years!!   When I first moved here, there were many living very comfortably on about 600 USD a month, that would be extremely difficult now.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

When I first moved here, there were many living very comfortably on about 600 USD a month, that would be extremely difficult now.

Those were the days , live like a king on a few dollars or pounds