Typhoons

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Use windy.com and Pagasa website to see where an LPA is

A really great source also is FNMOC - US Navy site. You can choose any of several models it features -

>Model: NAVGEM, FAROP, OFCL, WW3, NCODA, FLEWT, GFS.

Area:West Pacific<

Your anti-virus may tell you that the site is not trusted because it does not ever have an updated "certificate." I have been using it for over 10 years and feel it is one of the best sources. Personally, I prefer NAVGEM - if it's good enough for the navy, it's good enough for me. I worked on a NOAA research ship and sent in real time data while at sea every four hours - sea state, wind, baro, temp, etc, etc. It was very thorough. The data went through NOAA directly to the navy.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/index.html

If you decide to try it, it can be a bit intimidating to figure out at first. If you try and want help from me, just ask....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

This was taken with us anchored 200 meters from shore in 80 knots of wind.

Lucky that you had a top of the line selfie stick with you! :hystery:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Lucky that you had a top of the line selfie stick with you! :hystery:

This was before the era of cell phones and serious internet. Friends on another yacht took that using film.... remember film? We were all very lucky that the storm turned away from us because the forecasted path was right through the cockpit of our yacht!!! There were three boats anchored there and we had a nice party after the storm passed and things calmed down.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Expecting a typhoon here in Bicol this week

One of the weather models shows a possible typhoon or at least strong LPA developing to the west side of Mindanao and tracking north along the coast. This is just one model and may not ever happen. Don't know if it would even reach Bicol, or how strong it might be. But the model also shows it hasn't even been born yet..... If it does develop, it would be a few days from now....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

One of the weather models shows a possible typhoon or at least strong LPA developing to the west side of Mindanao and tracking north along the coast. This is just one model and may not ever happen. Don't know if it would even reach Bicol, or how strong it might be. But the model also shows it hasn't even been born yet..... If it does develop, it would be a few days from now....

Very wet here in Cebu City with an emergency orange rainfall alert sent to my phone.