Over half of all motor vehicle owners in PH have not renewed registration

Lee
Posted
Posted

These %s probably apply to motorcycles as well.

MANILA, Philippines – Land Transportation Office (LTO) has mandated a stricter implementation of the “No Registration, No Travel” policy. The order comes after discovering that more than half of motor vehicles in the country are classified as “delinquent.” Delinquent motor vehicles are units of owners who have either failed or deliberately refused to have their motor vehicles registered. The report is based on a review of data collected prior to use of Land Transportation Management System (LTMS). The agency found that around 24.7 million of the 38.3 million vehicles nationwide under under the category of being delinquent. This means only around 35 percent of the vehicles in are registered with the agency. LTO reviewed documents for vehicles that have registrations which have not been renewed for more than one year as of April 2022. “Those that have not renewed their registration for less than a year are not yet included here,” LTO Chief Vigor Mendoza II said in a press release in Filipino. Mendoza believes the finding is alarming since delinquent motor vehicles may have had problems passing roadworthiness inspections and are “threats to road safety.” “We have to be very strict in implementing the laws on land transportation, not only to make it fair to the law-abiding motor vehicle owners, but also for the welfare of the road users,” the LTO official added. The following regions have the most number of delinquent motor vehicles: Luzon National Capital Region – 4.1 million Central Luzon – 3.3 million Calabarzon – 2.7 million Visayas Western Visayas – 1.8 million Central Visayas – 1.8 million Eastern Visayas – 758,000 Mindanao Davao Region – 1.2 million Soccsksargen – 1.1 million Zamboanga Peninsula – almost 1 million--Northern Mindanao – almost 1 million.

Over half of all motor vehicle owners in PH have not renewed registration (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I suspect the major reason is that registration can be a pain in the @ss unless you hire someone to do it for you.   :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I suspect the major reason is that registration can be a pain in the @ss unless you hire someone to do it for you.

We have our mechanic register our car each year because as you stated it is a PITA.

Local LTO is a hot, miserable building with no parking and clothing police manning the entryway.

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Lee said:

We have our mechanic register our car each year because as you stated it is a PITA.

Local LTO is a hot, miserable building with no parking and clothing police manning the entryway.

We have one of our workers do the smoke test.  A young lady who has a small office at the smoke center then takes care of the LTO work.  Sends us a text message when the paperwork arrives.  Doesn't cost a lot and saves us a lot of aggravation.

• Like 1

starrt
Posted
Posted

We do the same as Mike J, we go to the authorised test center, and then pay a few hundred pesos to get them to go to the LTO office for the actual registration.

If the government really wanted to get every vehicle registered, why don't they issue annual plate stickers once the vehicle is registered. Yeah, I know, counterfiting will pop up, but it does make sense, to me. However, since the police are not on the roads ticketing infractions, who would monitor vehicles for stickers...

Oh well, we can dream no? ;) ol

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, starrt said:

We do the same as Mike J, we go to the authorised test center, and then pay a few hundred pesos to get them to go to the LTO office for the actual registration.

If the government really wanted to get every vehicle registered, why don't they issue annual plate stickers once the vehicle is registered. Yeah, I know, counterfiting will pop up, but it does make sense, to me. However, since the police are not on the roads ticketing infractions, who would monitor vehicles for stickers...

Oh well, we can dream no? ;) ol

Agree, LTO complains about 35% registration when LTO is a large part of the problem.  Memo to LTO - Simplify the procedure, reasonable fees, provide stickers and plates, cite vehicles without a sticker.      

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, starrt said:

why don't they issue annual plate stickers once the vehicle is registered

A few years back stickers were issued and were to placed on your front windshield.

This practice stopped for whatever reason.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I would not be surprised if that % is low. As has been mentioned the process is a hassle and money is money. Why would anyone bother when the chances of being caught are so low, and if your caught by an enforcer a 500 peso bill will take care of it.

I have been pulled over I think 3 times in the last 10 years, not once have I been asked for registration and proof of insurance as is common in other countries.

This is a country of scofflaws, in the typical Filipino point of view, laws and regulations are not ideals to be followed for the common good, but are to be bent, folded, spindled and mutilated to the point of unrecognizability lol :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::hystery:.

As an example years and years ago my Bother in Law made a plain crazy U turn across a double yellow line, over a pedestrian crosswalk, in a school zone where a sign "No U Turns" was posted. When I asked what the hell he was doing he just grinned and said.

"Democracy in action"

• Sad 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, scott h said:

I have been pulled over I think 3 times in the last 10 years, not once have I been asked for registration and proof of insurance as is common in other countries.

We have been stopped at LTO check points and asked for registration a few times.

While this was happening, a line of vehicles would be parked on both sides of the road just waiting for LTO to either go to lunch or quit for the day before continuing their travel. Pretty obvious who the scofflaws are----why not just go ask them for their driving paperwork?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I had a miner accident with another car the other driver called the police (Small scratch and buffed out) Police made me follow them to the cop shop and I showed them my docs apart from the OR I didn't have one, is that the same as registration? Anyhow police said I have to pay the other driver money FOR the repair ( 1,600 PESOS)