Over half of all motor vehicle owners in PH have not renewed registration

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I had a miner accident with another car the other driver called the police (Small scratch and buffed out) Police made me follow them to the cop shop and I showed them my docs apart from the OR I didn't have one, is that the same as registration? Anyhow police said I have to pay the other driver money FOR the repair ( 1,600 PESOS) 

It is the OR.

When we had a bump both us and the other driver had to go to the nearest police station (less then 5m away :smile:) and provide registration and insurance docs as well as driving licence.   We came to an agreement on compensation and both had to sign an affidavit. 

So, not having such documents may well present a problem in some circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It is the OR.

When we had a bump both us and the other driver had to go to the nearest police station (less then 5m away :smile:) and provide registration and insurance docs as well as driving licence.   We came to an agreement on compensation and both had to sign an affidavit. 

So, not having such documents may well present a problem in some circumstances. 

I got away with it then. Next smoke test I will ask for registration.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I got away with it then. Next smoke test I will ask for registration.

I've been stopped twice here and neither time been asked for registration document, licence only.  But, as I said, definitely was by traffic cop at the station so you got lucky (or I got unlucky although I had it anyway). 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Follow up story.

LTO: Some of the 24M unregistered vehicles in PH belong to gov’t agencies

MANILA, Philippines – The Land Transportation Office (LTO) on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2023, revealed that some of the over 24 million unregistered vehicles in the country have previously been registered under different government agencies. “We have around 24.7 million delinquent vehicles and some of them are registered under various government agencies,” LTO Chief Assistant Secretary Atty. Vigor D. Mendoza II said. Delinquent motor vehicles are those whose owners have failed or intentionally refused to have their vehicles registered with the LTO. In response, Mendoza has appealed for the help of government agencies for the renewal of the registration of delinquent vehicles under their respective offices. The LTO official said that he has ordered the various state institutions to come up with a consolidated list of delinquent vehicles previously registered under the name of their respective departments to determine which of them are no longer in use and which are still in use but with expired registration. “I hope that we can help each other because this is about the safety of road users in our country,” he added. Last week, Mendoza revealed that approximately 65 percent of the country’s motor vehicles are categorized as “delinquent.” He also said that unregistered vehicles are “threats to road safety” because they might have failed or have not undergone certain road safety tests. The data also indicated that the government has incurred a loss of roughly P37 billion due to outstanding payments from 24.7 million vehicles that have remained unregistered for a minimum of one year.

LTO: Some of the 24M unregistered vehicles in PH belong to gov’t agencies (msn.com)

Edited by Lee
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
hk blues
Posted
Posted

I read today that the "No Registration, No Travel" policy is being relaxed for the Christmas season.  So, the message is that, despite the fact that the majority of vehicles are unregistered. it's OK, no problem.  

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm all in favour of a bit of 'festive flexibility' but to actually announce this is wrong - they should have simply had an unwritten understanding that LTO offices would be lenient for this period.