Funding yourself while in the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just wondering what others do about cash or cards while in the Philippines, I’m not interested in opening a bank account over there just yet plus I’ve got no idea what the chargers would be , so for our long term vacation I don’t want to bring loads of cash with us or keep loads of cash on us so how do others go about this , I have a friend who uses revolut card and he thinks it’s brilliant, I’ve looked at this and wondering would this work , I don’t want to use the cards I have because of the chargers they would put onto the card , so any tips from you folk out there 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve I moved your question to SENDING OR EXCHANGING MONEY.

Look around this topic many answers here.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Steve I moved your question to SENDING OR EXCHANGING MONEY.

Look around this topic many answers here.

Thank you 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

We used World Remit to send cash pickup to ourselves. Worked great 👍.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

First I would try to get a credit card that does not charge international fees, or contact your current credit card folks and ask if they could wave it.  Having a credit 'may' save you in certain situations.   I have used Western Union and Wise for many years with no problem.   Western Union allows you to pick up your cash, whereas using wise you would need something like GCash to utilize their services.  Setting up a GCash account when you get here might not be a bad idea as well.  Many stores, and restaurants now accept Gcash.  There are others such as Zoom and World Remit, and they all work fairly well.  It really is not too difficult to send yourself money, having said that, I would have a couple backup plans e.g., establish an account with all of the above.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

@stevewool Have you given a Prepaid Mastercard any thought? They can be Topped up using any Card from the UK, If you are thinking of Hiring s Car you will need a C/C.:tiphat:

https://www.mastercard.com.ph/en-ph/personal/find-a-card/standard-prepaid-card.html

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/21/2023 at 12:32 AM, stevewool said:

Just wondering what others do about cash or cards while in the Philippines, I’m not interested in opening a bank account over there just yet plus I’ve got no idea what the chargers would be , so for our long term vacation I don’t want to bring loads of cash with us or keep loads of cash on us so how do others go about this , I have a friend who uses revolut card and he thinks it’s brilliant, I’ve looked at this and wondering would this work , I don’t want to use the cards I have because of the chargers they would put onto the card , so any tips from you folk out there 

I'm not recommending Revolut as I've never used it but it does seem to be accepted here so possibly an option BUT online comments suggest it's not accepted at all ATMs.

• Like 2

bob1965
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a wise account and wise card. It works fine wherever credit cards are taken (sm, S&r, bigger restaurants etc). Also exchange rate and fees I think are good.

Edited by bob1965
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for replying.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Each to their own, for myself the last years just use Wise to transfer funds  to my BPI account, zero problem an takes only a couple of hours. Guess the exchange rate is the only issue....or game.

• Like 1