DepEd to dedicate Fridays to reading starting 2024

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Give them money if they read - I bet that might work?:whistling:

Some kids (and older folks) can read very well, but they have no idea of what the hell they just read.

Reading must be broke down into meaning!

Aaaw simple reasoning....Someone here mentioned "Geography", what is that or where is that??

Edited by MotorSarge
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

am very disappointed with L (who I love very much) because she does not know where anything is or anything about the earth in general.

Seems to be the norm here.  My wife has very little knowledge of world geography and I think that is due to only teaching a bit of Asian geography.  Most Filipinos never get to travel, and travel does spark interest in world geography.  My kids seem to be learning a little bit about other places in the world.

Sad thing is, many Americans don't know much about world geography.  Ask them to point out Israel or Ukraine on a map.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sad thing is, many Americans don't know much about world geography.  Ask them to point out Israel or Ukraine on a map.

Another sad thing is that, to my limited knowledge, most Americans don't seem to learn or speak any language than English - and often not very well either! But, goodness! They sure can type fast on cell phones "R U O K?" I don't call that English. I call it lazy....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Another sad thing is that, to my limited knowledge, most Americans don't seem to learn or speak any language than English - and often not very well either! But, goodness! They sure can type fast on cell phones "R U O K?" I don't call that English. I call it lazy....

Yep, and I believe there is a soon price coming for that ignorance.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Including PRIVATE?

My 7 and 9 year old go to the same private school that my step-daughter went to from grades 3-10.  They are all very good readers.  I was studying English with my 7 yo yesterday, for exam this week, and she is amazing with reading, pronunciation and comprehension.  My 9 year old is finally reading some books, which very few do here in the Philippines.  My stepdaughter is often mistaken for American because of her accent, which I guess she got from me.  Her English speaking and knowledge of grammar is probably better than mine.  She is very good at writing and wrote for the school newspaper in grades 11-12.

Proud daddy rant over. :smile:

Another factor is, at our school and others, Friday is designated PE day.  No more PE?

I suspect that private schools will be exempt from this, or at least drag their heels on it.  Given the short time for implementation (which is in itself already a red flag in terms of the how well it will be implemented) and the fact that timetables are already established I doubt it will be a goer in private schools.  Of course, the same can be said of public schools but I feel private schools have more "weight" when it comes to which DedED policies they adopt and not, or at least how quickly and to what extent.  Example - I didn't see any posters removed from my son's school earlier this year despite the edict from DepED on this. 

RobH
Posted
Posted

It's not the reading that they have problems with, it's the comprehension.  As an example I had a group of local radio hams kindly come over to build an antenna, I gave them printed instructions how to do it. all read the instructions, and all spoke pretty good English. I went off to the CR, and came back to 2 broken fibre glass poles, which had to be reordered from the UK. I asked how did you manage to do that, didn't you follow the instructions? Which were perfectly clear, well at least to me. I ended up doing it myself, when the parts arrived, just followed the instructions.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I suspect that private schools will be exempt from this

I asked our private school about it and she said they have not gotten any notice about it yet.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Another sad thing is that, to my limited knowledge, most Americans don't seem to learn or speak any language than English

Perhaps a little known fact...  every HS in the USA offers foreign language classes. Many middle schools offer it now as well. Spanish, French, and German, are the most common, but many offer others. Every one of my kids (and grandkids) took 4 years worth. Most colleges require at least two years of a foreign language as well.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RobH said:

It's not the reading that they have problems with, it's the comprehension.

That is exactly the problem, and I don't think it is just with reading English.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mike J said:

That is exactly the problem, and I don't think it just with reading English.

Think I said the same thing but differently...

Some kids (and older folks) can read very well, but they have no idea of what the hell they just read.

Reading must be broke down into meaning!

Aaaw simple reasoning....Someone here mentioned "Geography", what is that or where is that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1