DepEd to dedicate Fridays to reading starting 2024

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 11/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Let's now define Qualified

Okay.... here is an aside that totally really doesn't have much to do with the topic. As a Mod here, maybe I should hide or delete this?

Just for information purposes, there was a book written a few decades ago called, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," by Robert Pirsig. It had special meaning to me since part of the book was about maintaining his British motorcycle - I believe it was a Norton? At the time, I had a Triumph.... The real story was more about his personal journey through part of his life.

But I digress. He literally went insane - at least for a while - when he tried to define the word "quality." He found that he couldn't do it and was discovered sitting naked in a room in his own pee and totally zoned out....

Anyway...based on that I, personally, will avoid attempting to define qualified:hystery: Joke lang, Jack and with all due respect!

• Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

That is exactly the problem, and I don't think it is just with reading English.

When asking how was the trip and hearing the term, "it was very traffic" from even the supposedly highly educated.  Been hearing that for years but will never get used to that butchery. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Possum said:

When asking how was the trip and hearing the term, "it was very traffic" from even the supposedly highly educated.  Been hearing that for years but will never get used to that butchery. :smile:

I think Filipinos were all taught English by the same person.... at no time has anyone told me to please wait a moment for something.... it is always, "For a while."

• Haha 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think Filipinos were all taught English by the same person.... at no time has anyone told me to please wait a moment for something.... it is always, "For a while."

many times, also "sorry sir out of stock"   or just "so sorry sir"  reply covering a multitude of questions e.g., It is 11am, the Dr is scheduled to be here at 10am, "so sorry sir" in their defense, most of the time they apologize, it does seem sincere

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

It is 11am, the Dr is scheduled to be here at 10am, "so sorry sir" in their defense, most of the time they apologize, it does seem sincere

About 10 years ago the wife and I were going for an early walk in Makati.  I saw a coffee shop and decided to get a cup to go.  I tried the door and it was locked.  The sign on the door says they open at 6:00 and it is now 6:15.  I knock on the door to get the attention of a guy sweeping the floor.

Guy - We are not open yet.

Me - What time do you open?

Guy - At six sir.

Me - What time is it now?

Guy - It is 6:15 sir.

Me - Why are you not open?

Guy - No one is here.

:whistling:

• Haha 5