DSWD: Stop almsgiving for beggars’ sakes

Lee
Posted
Posted

I will slip a 50 to anyone I see in Manila that is obviously crippled without hesitation.

I ignore the kids standing outside 7-11 begging for ice cream.

Didn't know that it's unlawful to give money to a beggar.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Thursday said it has been taking a “holistic approach” in handling street dwellers, urging the public to refrain from giving money to street beggars because it has already expanded its program to address this. DSWD spokesperson Romel Lopez told reporters in a media forum that the agency has tapped the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) to join them in “Oplan Pag-Abot,” a DSWD program aimed to provide intervention to street dwellers. The intervention includes “Balik-Probinsya” or shouldering their expenses in going back to their hometown in the provinces from places like Metro Manila and even possibly endorsing them to qualify for other DSWD programs like the Pantawid Pamilya Pilipino Program (4Ps), the Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS) and the Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP). By including CHR in their program, Lopez pointed out this was to ensure the rights of the street dwellers will be well-protected as they will be assisted by state social workers to return to their home provinces. “So, for these interventions under ‘Oplan Pag-Abot,’ we are now taking a holistic approach and we are calling on them to refrain from soliciting money as this is against our laws,” Lopez said. He cited Presidential Decree No. 1563, or the Mendicancy Law, that prohibits begging and giving into begging. Punishments for violating this include a fine of P1,000 or four years maximum imprisonment. “But then, they can no longer say the government is not giving anything to them. As I have said, they can even be beneficiaries of the SLP, 4Ps, AICS and we can even bring them back to their home provinces,” Lopez said. “The national government, through the DSWD and the Metro Manila Council, has been providing assistance for them [street dwellers], so, we are trying to provide an enabling environment of opportunities so let us stop soliciting,” he added. Lopez also said that some of the beggars on the streets may or are already being used by syndicates, which he said worries the DSWD leadership. “One thing is for sure, if we catch anyone taking advantage of the street dwellers, we will hold them accountable,” he said.

DSWD: Stop almsgiving for beggars’ sakes (msn.com)

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

Lopez pointed out this was to ensure the rights of the street dwellers will be well-protected as they will be assisted by state social workers to return to their home provinces.

Well protected = put them on the next bus out of town.  Mr. Lopez, there is a reason those people are in Manila and not in the province or small towns.  Shipping them from one location to another does not cure the problem.  That being said, I can't suggest a real cure so I probably should not be critical.  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

A lot of the locals are fed up with this behavior also.

This is how I deal with the kids at 7-11 or even adults that come up with their palm out and rubbing their tummy and a pitiful look on their face. 

I reach  deep into my pocket as if digging for spare change, pull my hand out and give them this. Almost always onlooker laugh out loud.

finger heart.png

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

Well protected = put them on the next bus out of town.  Mr. Lopez, there is a reason those people are in Manila and not in the province or small towns.  Shipping them from one location to another does not cure the problem.  That being said, I can't suggest a real cure so I probably should not be critical.  

Was my quote/reply removed from this or did I forget to submit reply? :89:

• Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Lee said:

Didn't know that it's unlawful to give money to a beggar.

It's been that way for years, the unwritten part is that it's less about targeting poor local kids, and more about discouraging Badjao career beggars.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L will often give some cash to beggars who are in obvious need of assistance. I disagree with her about it because - in my opinion - it encourages their behaviour, regardless of the law that prohibits this.

I have friends in Connecticut in USA who, when approached by a beggar - give them a paper food voucher that is honoured at various grocery stores. Another thing is to actually give them some real food - if even just a bread roll? This mighdiscourage them from just begging for handouts for cigarettes, alcohol or drugs?

Personally, I give nothing because I don't want to encourage their behaviour.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

It's been that way for years, the unwritten part is that it's less about targeting poor local kids, and more about discouraging Badjao career beggars.

I think you are right. There are certain intersections here in Davao with stoplights that actually work! Whenever I stop there, the same kids or moms holding babies show up and beg at the stopped cars. There is one intersection in a town nearby my home where the same three kids visit the stopped cars waiting for the light and beat on their make-shift drum.... If nothing is offered, they put fingers and faces on the windows to look in, even after being waved off.... I have not given nor seen anyone give anything to them. Does this mean I am cruel? Lots of thoughts out there....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MotorSarge said:

Was my quote/reply removed from this or did I forget to submit reply? :89:

I removed your reply because it was off topic and political.

Not that I disagree with it in any way. I have been known to go off topic due to current situations myself. 

Reason for edit: Sorry, Dan I fixed your spelling of current....:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

I removed your reply because it was off topic and political.

Not that I disagree with it in any way. I have been known to go off topic due to current situations myself. 

Reason for edit: Sorry, Dan I fixed your spelling of current....:smile:

Yep...yep

Too much to reply to your response....

Such a sheeple audience to keep in the mushroom field.

Next Time...:cheersty: