DSWD: Stop almsgiving for beggars’ sakes

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

A couple of times when in Manila riding in a taxi fairly late at night (night flight from Davao), I noticed that the driver locked all the doors as soon as I got inside and sat down. Several times, street kids approached the taxi - an other cars, but zeroed in on the taxi - and pounded on the glass and tried the doors looking for handouts. In the very few times I walked in Manila at night, I could see homeless "encampments" under bridges or awnings. This, now, appears similar to what I see on the news about my home town, Seattle.  Except there, they often have tents and actual belongings.

I would be delighted to donate some funds to organizations, such as Joe described, but only if I knew they were utilized properly and actually helped truly homeless people who really need - and accept - the free help that is offered. Sweeping or mopping a floor or washing some dishes do not seem like onerous tasks to me and I would think the benefits would be really welcomed by the truly needy.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

and pounded on the glass and tried the doors looking for handouts.

Very dangerous in Manila and extra care is needed.  I have seen videos where the street kids will basically mob a vehicle.

This past Saturday we were coming back from up North and stopped at a Jollibee drive thru outside the freeport.  Four boys were harassing the cars leaving the drive thru.  The Raptor in front of us stopped and gave them something, but I guess they were not happy and slapped the side of the truck as it pulled away.  They don't allow begging kids in the freeport, generally speaking.

We have some old folks that camp out Pure Gold Duty Free in the freeport.  Lots of tourists.  One old guy I used to drop a coin or two to.  No more.  I think he is living fairly well, but I am not sure where.  There is a KFC there and I often see him eating KFC.  Another old lady sells cashews.  I used to buy from her when we first moved here 10 years ago.  Then my wife saw her making a deposit in BPI.  And then I realized she charges double the going price for cashews.  No more.  Now she has turned mean and harasses my wife.  Just ignores me.

Olongapo is infested with so called parking guys, half of which look like addicts.  I only give to them if they really help or if I am blackmailed into giving something due to possible car damage.  Some are super aggressive.

Generally speaking, I only give to beggars that I can see are physically handicapped.  I never give to kids in Olongapo.  They should not be out begging.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

There are lots of the "parking lot" guys here in Davao. So far, they are not aggressive, but I refuse to pay them for what I can easily do myself. Even L refrains from giving them payments. My take - as mentioned before - is you give a few a little now, then soon there will be many DEMANDING more.

It's like the press.... If you publish terrorist news, then would-be terrorists read that and decide "that's for me!"

Maybe a poor comparison and should be hidden. But my feeling is that when someone here sees someone else making money doing something (like the help you park your car schtick), 100 more will follow suit. If we don't pay, maybe (maybe) they will back off? As always, I may be totally wrong. But that is my opinion and I am sticking with it!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay.... I will take one step further into this morass..... If in Chicago, LA, New York City....etc. etc..... If casual or working people would not toss a coin or slip a bill to a beggar, might that not slow or stop that practice? Just my thought.... And that could apply to Manila, Davao or any city in any country.... Perhaps I am mean, inconsiderate or stupid? I will let the forum decide...

but then I thinking twice about it..... in Chicago or LA or NY, they might get pissed and then key your car - I guess there is that to be considered?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay.... I will take one step further into this morass..... If in Chicago, LA, New York City....etc. etc..... If casual or working people would not toss a coin or slip a bill to a beggar, might that not slow or stop that practice? Just my thought.... And that could apply to Manila, Davao or any city in any country.... Perhaps I am mean, inconsiderate or stupid? I will let the forum decide...

but then thinking twice about it..... i Chacago or LA or NY, they might get pissed and then key your car - I guess there is that to be considered?

They have been know to break mirrors and windshield wipers here also so there's not a big difference.

My wife will give some coins to the obviously very poor when we are down town but has zero patience with the window bangers and neither do I. On occasion I'll see a guy outside the 7/11 selling pot holders and I usually buy one or two. The one armed guy at SM that only targets foreigners? not a peso...

Since it is now Christmas it is time to see more traffic enforcers where I live. The other 10 months they are invisible. Speaking of that my FIL asked about a job as a traffic enforcer. He was told 150/day so they have to get money another way to make it worth while on the job. Of course in the budget they are paid much more than that but hey, maybe the mayor needs another franchise store.

Edited by Possum
  • Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

They built a whole 'subdivision' for the Badjaos near me. There's plenty of farm work available for 4-500 per day but most of them really aren't interested or they'll turn up for 2-3 days then disappear and come back a week later when their money runs out.

We had one guy and his family who would prune the mango trees for free and then use it to make charcoal, he was working hard to be fair and probably making 1500-2000 per day but then he kept turning up with his 8-12 year old kids all smoking and riding his tricycle around. I kept getting images of 'foreigner exploits indigent Filipino kids' headlines so that was enough of that for me lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

but then I thinking twice about it..... in Chicago or LA or NY, they might get pissed and then key your car - I guess there is that to be considered?

agree 100%... sometimes I think Singapore has it right. 

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You must have been away for many years.

In LA, NYC and any other city they don't beg anymore, they just take what they want, don't give it to them, they take yer life.

They don't key cars anymore either, they just take them too.

Most big cities over here are the land of the Sheeples and the Wolves now.

• Like 1