VPN

Clermont
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

You just have to go into your account information on their web site and turn off auto-renew in your account settings. 

I tried that and Norton tried to deduct money out of my account and I didn’t even give them authorisation to access my account. How I knew they were going to do it, they sent me a email telling me my subscription was due to be renewed and make sure there was sufficient funds in the account. I informed the bank and after going through all my settings with me, the bank stopped the payment but I never found out how they got my banking details. That was years ago but I think the banks have better security for incidents like this now.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

I tried that and Norton tried to deduct money out of my account and I didn’t even give them authorisation to access my account. How I knew they were going to do it, they sent me a email telling me my subscription was due to be renewed and make sure there was sufficient funds in the account. I informed the bank and after going through all my settings with me, the bank stopped the payment but I never found out how they got my banking details. That was years ago but I think the banks have better security for incidents like this now.

I haven't used Norton for years, it's resource hungry and slows down your entire system.  But yeah, it's practices like that that really annoy me.  

These days you have to opt-out of auto-renew by default on most annual subscription based services.  It should be opt-in but unfortunately it's not the case :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.

I used to use Bit Defender for anti-virus but like so many they priced themselves out of the market, Kapersky was the same.  It's one of the reasons I'm seriously testing Surf Shark, it comes with a highly rated AV programme as well as VPN under the banner of Surf-Shark One for not much more than the VPN cost. 

• Like 1