UK Visas are about to get more difficult.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The UK Government are massively increasing to minimum income for those wishing to obtain a visa for their partners and it's going to affect those currently residing there also on renewal. 

The new minimal income is increasing to £38,700 up from £18,600.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rishi-sunak-net-migration-b2457984.html

Cleverly sets out five-Brits could see their foreign partners told to leave the country the next time their visa comes up for renewal – if their household does not earn £38,700, No 10 said.

The move is part of plans to cut net migration after it soared to nearly three-quarters of a million in 2022.

Experts, however, warned the planned crackdown was causing distress for many.

Downing Street defended the policy, saying it was right that “if you are bringing someone into the country you are able to support them.

Under the plans unveiled on Monday those wishing to bring their spouse to the UK will now have to earn £38,700, a significant increase on the current figure of £18,600, and what has been described as a tax on love.

Former Tory minister Gavin Barwell said it was “both morally wrong and unconservative to say that only the wealthiest can fall in love, marry someone and then bring them to the UK”.

As well as applying to those yet to come to the UK, No 10 confirmed the new higher figure risks affecting those already here.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

If it will apply to those already residing there, will they have to deport those who are already there who now don't meet the requirement?  

ETA - Makes us realise how lucky we are to be able to be here with minimum requirements.  OK, this also reflects how attractive the country is but that's another topic.

Edited by hk blues

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

If it will apply to those already residing there, will they have to deport those who are already there who now don't meet the requirement?  

That's currently what it looks like. A tad unfair as I'm sure there are a few who have headed home for medical reasons and unable to work so may have been relying on their pensions. 

I know personally if I was claiming my state pension plus military pension and one small private pension I'd just be scrapping over the limit. 

That's going to be a kick in the teeth if you then have to return to the Philippines to keep the family together especially as prices here aren't so cheap these days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

That's currently what it looks like. A tad unfair as I'm sure there are a few who have headed home for medical reasons and unable to work so may have been relying on their pensions. 

I know personally if I was claiming my state pension plus military pension and one small private pension I'd just be scrapping over the limit. 

That's going to be a kick in the teeth if you then have to return to the Philippines to keep the family together especially as prices here aren't so cheap these days. 

With my state pension and 4 private pensions I still wouldn't get to the 40K minimum - I'd need to use savings to top up the shortfall but that would tie them up but hey ho.  I have no intention to return to the UK but it would be nice to have the option.   

There may well be many who are really going to be caught between a rock and a hard place i.e. who no longer qualify to remain in the UK but at the same time can't really up sticks and go to their spouse's country for whatever reason. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the real goal is to prevent/slow immigration as opposed to punish those immigrants already in the UK?   I guess they could apply for citizenship if living there five or more years?

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Sounds like the real goal is to prevent/slow immigration as opposed to punish those immigrants already in the UK?   I guess they could apply for citizenship if living there five or more years?

Agreed, the headline goal is almost certainly to stem the flow of immigration but it may be that those currently in the UK but with under 5 years residency will end up being collateral damage unless a grandfathering system is put in place. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Agreed, the headline goal is almost certainly to stem the flow of immigration but it may be that those currently in the UK but with under 5 years residency will end up being collateral damage unless a grandfathering system is put in place. 

Not at all familiar with how laws are crafted in the UK.  Sounds like this is a "plan" so it could be modified to only apply to further future immigration? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Not at all familiar with how laws are crafted in the UK.  Sounds like this is a "plan" so it could be modified to only apply to further future immigration? 

It's probably more of a last gasp effort to win some much-needed support before the next election which the Conservative party are highly likely to lose so they may not give too much consideration to the unintended (if they are) consequences of the policy.  

Personally, I agree with you and doubt it would be applied to existing immigrants but you never know.  

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I don't think they've thought this one through lol. I doubt they'll be able to get many nurses with that new rule, salaries are already much lower than the US, Australia etc now already, being able to easily bring your family was probably the only advantage.

My Wife was even rejected for a tourist visa this year, they only told her to apply with 'proof of funds' evidence then when she did that they rejected it because it was missing a load of other information that they didn't ask for on the application. Now she says 'europoor' every time she hears the UK on a video I'm watching and says we're going to the US instead:biggrin:.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The income threshold is one issue, but isn't there another issue in U.K., similar to the U.S.?

I still read the U.S. based Visa Journey forum sometimes, and hear all the stories about how hard / how long it is to bring a fiancé or spouse to the U.S., legally.  So much frustration is vented there because illegal immigration seems to be encouraged by the current powers in office. Up to 8 million illegal entries now in the last few years???  Refugees, migrants from all over the world are allowed to enter, while legal immigrants just get a slap in the face with more restrictions, and the personnel who might be working on legal immigration cases are busy processing illegals for quick entry.

Isn't there a similar situation in the U.K.?  Ireland?  I know Italy is being overrun.  It is getting very scary.