UK Visas are about to get more difficult.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Who would want to come to the uk these days , just a thought 💭 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The income threshold is one issue, but isn't there another issue in U.K., similar to the U.S.?

I still read the U.S. based Visa Journey forum sometimes, and hear all the stories about how hard / how long it is to bring a fiancé or spouse to the U.S., legally.  So much frustration is vented there because illegal immigration seems to be encouraged by the current powers in office. Up to 8 million illegal entries now in the last few years???  Refugees, migrants from all over the world are allowed to enter, while legal immigrants just get a slap in the face with more restrictions, and the personnel who might be working on legal immigration cases are busy processing illegals for quick entry.

Isn't there a similar situation in the U.K.?  Ireland?  I know Italy is being overrun.  It is getting very scary.

It has been almost 20 years since I went through the process of bring my wife (then fiancé) to the US.  There are a number of steps that you need to follow and the forms must be filled completely and accurately.  Any misstep can set you back months, so a lot of folks hire someone to do it.  I did all the paperwork/process myself and it took just under one year for final approval.  At the time it was faster to bring her over as a fiancé than as a spouse, so we were married in the USA.  This was twenty years ago and I do not remember what the total filing cost.  There is also the costs of travel, medical exam, etc. for the fiancé which could only be done in Manila.  There is a minimum required annual income requirement, currently it is $22,887 for a family of two.  I assume the "two" includes the fiancé.   Binging over extended family members used to be a very long process, taking years.  That was never in out plans.  Not sure how long it takes now for family members.   

Wealthy first world countries used to have fairly lenient rules for immigration as it provided a steady source of labor for low paying and/or unattractive manual labor.  As population density has increased and automation filled many of those jobs, the ability of many, perhaps most, first world economies to absorb unskilled immigrants has steadily decreased.   We live in a world that is very much divided into the "haves and have nots".   And it not just the first world countries that have problems with illegal immigrants.  Even the Philippines has problems with immigrants wanting to come here in search of a better life.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

currently it is $22,887 for a family of two.  I assume the "two" includes the fiancé. 

It is a bit higher than that now.  125% of the poverty level.  I track this.  I am family of 5.

Screenshot (1145).png

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I don't think they've thought this one through lol. I doubt they'll be able to get many nurses with that new rule, salaries are already much lower than the US, Australia etc now already, being able to easily bring your family was probably the only advantage.

My Wife was even rejected for a tourist visa this year, they only told her to apply with 'proof of funds' evidence then when she did that they rejected it because it was missing a load of other information that they didn't ask for on the application. Now she says 'europoor' every time she hears the UK on a video I'm watching and says we're going to the US instead:biggrin:.

So the Government policy/strategy is already working to reduce immigration. :whistling:

As well as introducing the increased salary requirement which will affect healthcare workers, they are also removing the privilege of allowing healthcare workers' families visas to come to the UK.

There is no hidden agenda - the UK Government is quite clear and open - they intend to reduce immigration, period. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The income threshold is one issue, but isn't there another issue in U.K., similar to the U.S.?

I still read the U.S. based Visa Journey forum sometimes, and hear all the stories about how hard / how long it is to bring a fiancé or spouse to the U.S., legally.  So much frustration is vented there because illegal immigration seems to be encouraged by the current powers in office. Up to 8 million illegal entries now in the last few years???  Refugees, migrants from all over the world are allowed to enter, while legal immigrants just get a slap in the face with more restrictions, and the personnel who might be working on legal immigration cases are busy processing illegals for quick entry.

Isn't there a similar situation in the U.K.?  Ireland?  I know Italy is being overrun.  It is getting very scary.

Yes, there is.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

A lot of folk apparently - hence the need to implement draconian measures to stem the flow.  Of course, the measures announced won't stop those the new rules are intended to and instead those who are actually contributing to the country and the economy.  

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, stevewool said:

Exactly, my wife has dual citizenship and she could go back and work in the UK if she wanted to. Already qualifies for a state pension when she gets to state pension age.

But she doesn't want to go back and prefers it here despite  all the noise.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It’s just another smoke screen that the government in power does when a election is coming , if they did more to stop the illegal migration rather then target those who would like to come here the legal way then they would have my vote , but it will never happen 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Of course, the measures announced won't stop those the new rules are intended to and instead those who are actually contributing to the country and the economy.  

15 minutes ago, stevewool said:

if they did more to stop the illegal migration rather then target those who would like to come here the legal way then they would have my vote , but it will never happen 

Seems we are on the same page! 

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

Exactly, my wife has dual citizenship and she could go back and work in the UK if she wanted to. Already qualifies for a state pension when she gets to state pension age.

But she doesn't want to go back and prefers it here despite  all the noise.

I think the contrasting weather might have a fair bit to do with that as well Jim, lol.