1 hour ago, hk blues said:

opportunities to work and marry abroad. 

Corrected your typo!  :smile:

• Haha 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Mike J said:

They have RNs (registered nurse), and LPN (Licensed practical nurse).  In recent years a new class was added called Nurse Practitioner which allows them to perform certain medical treatments/tasks that would ordinarily require a MD (medical doctor).

I would guess that whatever title a nurse had, they all had to pass tests and got no credit for almost having done so.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Similar to the USA.  They have RNs (registered nurse), and LPN (Licensed practical nurse).  In recent years a new class was added called Nurse Practitioner which allows them to perform certain medical treatments/tasks that would ordinarily require a MD (medical doctor).

Exactly... Many people think everyone who walks in their hospital room and performs duties is a nurse.  Actually many are not. At least in the USA there's a whole slew of other medical technicians, medical technologists, and medical assistants that perform duties that many people think are being done by nurses. 

I have no idea if the Philippines has similar positions... but in the few times I've visited a Philippine hospital (Visaya's not Manila)... within 15 minutes the quality of the nurse was the furthest thing from my mind.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The issuance of licenses and diplomas should be on a tier system.

One Year - caregiver

Two Years - nurse assistant

Four Years - nurse

Six Years - nurse practitioner

The above permits someone to drop out due to circumstances that may include financial, scholastic or personal reasons.  If you don't qualify as a nurse for deployment overseas, stay home as a nurse assistant.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

If you don't qualify as a nurse for deployment overseas

Nope,,,,if they dont qualify to go overseas they go to work in a call center.

• Like 1

longway
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

it's my belief that many see nursing as an escape route rather than a vocation i.e. they choose nursing because they know it offers opportunities to work abroad.  If

I agree, I have a Philippine friend in the U.S. who is a  ER MD. She has been working in the U.S. for 20+ years after residency at Hopkins in Baltimore. She went to med school in the PHilippines to enable her to leave the country. She said getting out was the only reason she did the hard work.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Nope,,,,if they dont qualify to go overseas they go to work in a call center.

Which confirms my previous post comment - many who choose nursing here see it as a means to an end I.e. a life overseas.

So, any solution needs to address the real problem which seems to be that too many don't see the country as a place they want to be.

That's not an easy problem to fix.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
PinoyDani
Posted
Posted
On 12/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, hk blues said:

Which confirms my previous post comment - many who choose nursing here see it as a means to an end I.e. a life overseas.

So, any solution needs to address the real problem which seems to be that too many don't see the country as a place they want to be.

That's not an easy problem to fix.

It's a tough problem to solve, for sure. Nurses in the Philippines have a lot of work but low pay. If they switch to the call center industry, they still have to work hard but earn a bit more. But working extra hours in the Philippines doesn't mean more income because of higher taxes, so the difference is small.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, PinoyDani said:

It's a tough problem to solve, for sure. Nurses in the Philippines have a lot of work but low pay. If they switch to the call center industry, they still have to work hard but earn a bit more. But working extra hours in the Philippines doesn't mean more income because of higher taxes, so the difference is small.

As an aside - I don't think the Philippines is a particularly high tax country, at least not compared to the UK.  

• Like 1

PinoyDani
Posted
Posted

@hk blues, I agree with you about the tax differences between the Philippines and the UK. My point is that the Philippine taxes for overtime hours are so high that most of the extra pay they should get on top of their base salary goes to taxes, and they end up with very little extra money.

• Thanks 1