PUVs told: No consolidation, no permit

Lee
Posted
Posted

These permits could have been revoked years ago but weren't.

Forcing owner/operators to buy new equipment that they can't afford will simply put them out of a job.

THE Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has issued a memorandum circular effectively revoking the permit to operate of public utility vehicles (PUVs) failing to file applications for consolidation on or before Dec. 31, 2023.

The consolidation deadline has been the target of protests by transport groups claiming that mandatory franchise consolidation would lead to the phase-out of traditional public utility jeepneys (PUJs), automatically depriving drivers and operators of their livelihood.

Memorandum Circular 2023-051, approved and signed by the LTFRB on Thursday, December 14, states that all provisional authorities issued to individual operators of traditional jeepneys in all routes without consolidated transport service entities (TSEs) are deemed revoked effective Jan. 1, 2024.

At the same time, operators will not be allowed to register these units as public utility vehicles (PUVs).

"Accordingly, a show cause order shall be issued by the Board," the LTFRB said.

All consolidated TSEs and individual operators that were able to file their application for consolidation on or before the deadline will be allowed to continue operating under their existing provisional authority, which shall be valid until Dec. 31, 2024.

According to Pagkakaisa ng mga Samahan ng Tsuper at Opereytor Nationwide (Piston) President Mody Floranda, an estimated 900,000 drivers and operators face dire consequences if they fail to renew their franchise and cannot consolidate with the LTFRB until December 31.

loranda warned they would stage another transport strike if their request was not granted. There will be another transport crisis that will affect the economy. He then called on the government to carefully study such a step.

Piston led the two-day transport strike this week, calling for the extension of the December 31 deadline for franchise consolidation.

The transport groups pushed through with their strike that began on Thursday even after President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced the government would not extend its year-end deadline for PUJ drivers to consolidate themselves into cooperatives or corporations.

President Marcos noted that at present, "70 percent of all operators have already committed to and consolidated under the Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program (PUVMP)."

"We cannot let the minority cause further delays, affecting the majority of our operators, banks, financial institutions, and the public at large," Marcos said.

PUVs told: No consolidation, no permit (msn.com)

Air-conditioned mini-buses, considered by many as the modern jeepneys, are seen along EDSA, Sunday afternoon alongside traditional jeepneys. PHOTO BY J. GERARD SEGUIA

Air-conditioned mini-buses, considered by many as the modern jeepneys, are seen along EDSA, Sunday afternoon alongside traditional jeepneys.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Always an all or nothing solution from officialdom here.  Have they not heard of graduated phasing in of policies?  "Getting tough" on everyday folk rarely works anywhere. By being so hard nosed and implementing the above they'll either strike or be taken off the road anyway causing just as much disruption as a strike.  That's if it's enforced of course.

Yet another example of headline policy without forethought or planning.  These guys really need remedial change management training. 

I agree with the sentiment with regards to licencing, just not the implementation. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Have they not heard of graduated phasing in of policies? 

If I remember correctly, this program has been in the works for about 5 years now, it has been delayed several times already. BUT we still have 2 weeks before it is implemented...remember this is the land of the TRO (temporary restraining order)

3 hours ago, Lee said:

simply put them out of a job.

I think this is the same argument used by the buggy whip manufacturing industry at the turn of the 20th century when cars started to come out.

3 hours ago, Lee said:

"We cannot let the minority cause further delays,

IMO Pres. Marcos is right, pandering to the different minority groups, agriculture, transportation, education, manufacturing or even the conglomerates is what is holding this nation back.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo we can see more and more modern jeepneys and less and less traditional  jeepneys. Despite the slight price differential, the majority of folk prefer the modern jeepneys. It's clear that there is a natural phasing out.  Personally, I think it's the way forward, a gradual and natural phasing out over time.

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

Update

2 held for throwing nails at PUJs

MANILA, Philippines — Two men were arrested in Taguig City for throwing nails at public utility jeepneys (PUJs) whose drivers and operators did not take part in the nationwide transport strike on Thursday, police said yesterday.

Larry Andie Franco and Jay Marc Marcos, both 29, said they were given P100 in exchange for targeting the PUJs, Taguig police chief Col. Robert Baesa told The STAR.

Two members of the Taguig Transport Service Cooperative reported that they saw Franco and Marcos throwing nail-filled cigarette packs along MLQ street in Barangay Hagonoy.

The victims said the incident resulted in 17 damaged jeepney tires worth over P100,000.

Upon checking closed-circuit television footage, the victims confirmed the identities of the suspects, prompting police to conduct a follow-up operation and arrest Marcos and Franco.

The two men face charges of malicious mischief.

Transport group Piston staged a transport strike on Dec. 14 and 15 to protest the government’s public utility vehicle modernization program

• Sad 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Most of the PUV in Cagayan De Oro are still the traditional type, there are more modern ones but I'd guess no more than 10% of the fleet.

Not sure how people will get to and from the city if most of the jeepney fleet stops running and isn't replaced (which seems unlikely here).

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Most of the PUV in Cagayan De Oro are still the traditional type, there are more modern ones but I'd guess no more than 10% of the fleet.

Not sure how people will get to and from the city if most of the jeepney fleet stops running and isn't replaced (which seems unlikely here).

Here in Angeles I’d venture a guess it’s even less than 5% are newer jeeps. Hardly ever see one. 

Last few times they went on strike I noticed a significant increase in trikes and motorbikes with back riders on the roads. I presumed they were trying the fill the gap and taking advantage of the strike. If it weren’t for the butthole trike drivers darting in and out of traffic it was almost a pleasure to drive here.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I saw this on FB this morning.  I wonder what the quality is like for < 1 mill?  I wonder if the batteries are safe?  Range?  Charging time?  Seems like air con will suck up the juice fast.

A more affordable e-jeepney

The design retains the familiar jeepney look, but with modern upgrades, including air conditioning and a more efficient electric drivetrain.

410210272_687283206882071_7985676417724588987_n.jpg

• Hmm thinking 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I saw this on FB this morning.  I wonder what the quality is like for < 1 mill?  I wonder if the batteries are safe?  Range?  Charging time?  Seems like air con will suck up the juice fast.

A more affordable e-jeepney

The design retains the familiar jeepney look, but with modern upgrades, including air conditioning and a more efficient electric drivetrain.

410210272_687283206882071_7985676417724588987_n.jpg

The modern jeepneys they are using here in iloilo come in at around 2.4m pesos. 

• Like 1