PUVs told: No consolidation, no permit

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

The phase out/modernization is sort of confusing and very detailed. I stumbled upon this story explaining the ins and outs of the plan. Its long so I am just posting the link if your interested.

The Jeepney Phase-out Explained (mb.com.ph)

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2023 at 10:31 AM, hk blues said:

Here in Iloilo we can see more and more modern jeepneys and less and less traditional  jeepneys. Despite the slight price differential, the majority of folk prefer the modern jeepneys. It's clear that there is a natural phasing out.  Personally, I think it's the way forward, a gradual and natural phasing out over time.

Pretty much same in neighbouring Bacolod, they speak about opening an electric jeepney factory. One is at the NGC where I live, its a demo one, Chinese built, cheap, nasty. After less than a year rust beginning to show, looks very similar to the old jeeps in and out.

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I saw this on FB this morning.  I wonder what the quality is like for < 1 mill?  I wonder if the batteries are safe?  Range?  Charging time?  Seems like air con will suck up the juice fast.

A more affordable e-jeepney

The design retains the familiar jeepney look, but with modern upgrades, including air conditioning and a more efficient electric drivetrain.

410210272_687283206882071_7985676417724588987_n.jpg

Cost in Bacolod over P2 million.

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Chinese built, cheap, nasty. After less than a year rust beginning to show, looks very similar to the old jeeps in and out.

Could be worse, they could be Russian built. They start to rust in the brochures. lol

Back in the 80’s when I was living in Germany I had a Lada Niva 4x4. Would go anywhere and I’d put up against a US made Jeep for off-roading any time. But needed to have a second one for parts and it was basically paint over bare metal. lol

@scott h . Interesting article that seems to lay out both sides of the issues quite well. Sounds almost like what the gov is trying to do are similar to public-private partnerships, but putting more of a burden on the private sector. Frankly speaking I don’t see any easy answer nor do I see it being implemented in the near future. But one can hope that they will eventually get rid of the unsafe, inefficient and environmentally unfriendly Jeepny’s. 

Lee
Posted
Posted

Somebody has got to pay the piper-- so why not a 400% increase in rider fees.

Update:

400% fare hike amid PUV modernization? DOTr vows assistance to operators

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Tuesday said it will provide assistance to operators to address the reported possible 400% increase in jeepney fares due to the PUV modernization program.

This after non-profit organization IBON Foundation said the administration is "indifferent" to the plight of the transport sector.

“The worsening privatization and corporatization threatens to raise jeepney fares by 300% to 400% over the next few years,” IBON said.

DOTr Undersecretary Timothy John Batan said the concern of IBON might be about the Step 2 of the PUV modernization program, where traditional jeepneys should be replaced with modern jeepneys.

He said the government has made changes in the program to ease the financial burden of jeepney operators in replacing their units with modernized ones.

“First, we have increased the subsidy. At the start we were only giving P80,000 per unit, that was increased to P160,000 per unit. Now, it is between P200,000 to P300,000 depending on the type of jeepney that you are modernizing into,” Batan said in an ANC interview.

The cost of a modernized jeepney is around P2.3 million to P2.8 million per unit.

“Number 2, we've continued working with our government banks, Landbank, [Development Bank of the Philippines], to simplify the procedures for availing of cheap financing,” Batan added.

When asked about the 6% interest rate being too high for jeepney operators, the DOTr official said the government is tapping more private lenders to create a competition among them for cheaper interest rates.

“The interest rates are subject to banking regulations because the banks also have to protect the interest of their depositors,” he said.

“What we are doing now is expanding the pool of lenders to the sector by inviting private banks to also participate,” he added.

The deadline for the consolidation of jeepney operators under the PUV modernization is on December 31, 2023, which will not be extended as announced by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

According to the DOTr, around 70% of jeepney operators have already complied with the consolidation process.

/www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/400-fare-hike-amid-puv-modernization-dotr-vows-assistance-to-operators

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Lee said:

the reported possible 400% increase in jeepney fares due to the PUV modernization program.

Another poor example of journalism! WHO reported it, where did the data come from to support the POSSIBLE fare increase? 

Or are they biased and using scare tactics to get the program delayed AGAIN.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I wonder why existing modern jeepney fares are more or less in line with traditional jeepney fares currently?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Lee said:

“The worsening privatization and corporatization threatens to raise jeepney fares by 300% to 400% over the next few years,” IBON said.

IBON appears to be the source for the "possible 400% increase in fares".  So I would take that number with not just a grain of salt, but maybe a whole tablespoon. maybe even a kilo of salt.  A base fare jumping from 15 peso to 60 peso is just not going to happen.   

Per Google 

<snip>What is the fare for jeepney in Cebu 2023?
The provisional fare hike takes effect on Sunday, Oct. 8, 2023. The minimum fare of traditional PUJs will now be P13 instead of P12, while the minimum fare of modern PUJs will be P15 instead of P14.Oct 7, 2023<end snip>

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This all might be academic. There was an article in yesterdays paper about the unions ignoring the law and running their routes on January 1st regardless, knowing that they will be colorum. I can't speak for other areas, but in our city I am betting they will get away with it. PNP will say its up to the LGU's to enforce the law, local traffic enforcers would have to get out from under the shade tree to stop and check if a jeep was legal or not. Even if they did and issued a ticket the drivers will ignore it and keep driving. They yank the drivers liecence, ditto, the drivers will keep driving. They would have to detain the driver and tow the Jeep, which will cause traffic delays, so they wont do that, even if they did have a place to impound the Jeeps.

Oh, what a country :Caught::hystery:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

https://plnmedia.com/supreme-court-suspends-puv-modernization-dec-31-consolidation-deadline/

Of course it will be delayed.. the dinosaurs have no interest in moving this country forward... its all about minority groups thinknig theirp riority is bigger than anyones elses.  How can this country ever move forward......