BEER

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Anybody miss a specific beer?   I always find myself really craving a good STOUT, one that you can almost chew.  Every now and then over the years some craft beer brewers would brew a good stout but they are few and far between.   I can get decent German Lagers and Weizens etc. and some really good Belgium beers, but thats about it.   Beer selection and really good pizza top my list of things I miss from the homeland.    Lastly, Merry Christmas to you all (even you Kingpin).  Hope you all have a fun relaxing or exciting holiday season and a great new year.   Cheers!!!

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I miss a few of the Australian staples such as Toohey's Old (dark ale) and Carlton Draught on tap but not much else really.  I was really into craft beers for many years but never really became attached to any one in particular except the range at the local craft brewery in Cairns (McAllister's) and a stout ironically named Captain Sensible coming in at 11%.  I'm a sucker for dark ales and stouts, no matter the weather.  Weirdly enough the local Pure Gold sells Guinness cans with the widget so that itch is scatched.

Yeah, good pizza.. In over 30 years of visiting PI I don't think I've had a single pizza that even comes close to what I'm used to back in Aust whether that be from national chains or mum and pop operations.  Yellow Cab is just okay but the rest nah, we don't even bother anymore. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Anybody miss a specific beer?   I always find myself really craving a good STOUT, one that you can almost chew.  Every now and then over the years some craft beer brewers would brew a good stout but they are few and far between.   I can get decent German Lagers and Weizens etc. and some really good Belgium beers, but thats about it.   Beer selection and really good pizza top my list of things I miss from the homeland.    Lastly, Merry Christmas to you all (even you Kingpin).  Hope you all have a fun relaxing or exciting holiday season and a great new year.   Cheers!!!

After living in the States for 21 years....I never really knew there was different levels of quality of beers besides the "ABV" until I lived in Germany for 3 years.

That changed everything on my outlook of beer and has since made me taste test the palatable taste & ABV of every other country I've been to.

• Like 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Toohey'

I still remember my first Aussie Beer and it was a Toohey's Circa 1978.   Having any kind of import was a big deal back then, most of our imports were all Canadian beers, e.g., Molsons, Moosehead, Labatts, Brador, and even having one of those was a big deal. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I miss a few of the Australian staples such as Toohey's Old (dark ale) and Carlton Draught on tap but not much else really.  I was really into craft beers for many years but never really became attached to any one in particular except the range at the local craft brewery in Cairns (McAllister's) and a stout ironically named Captain Sensible coming in at 11%.  I'm a sucker for dark ales and stouts, no matter the weather.  Weirdly enough the local Pure Gold sells Guinness cans with the widget so that itch is scatched.

Yeah, good pizza.. In over 30 years of visiting PI I don't think I've had a single pizza that even comes close to what I'm used to back in Aust whether that be from national chains or mum and pop operations.  Yellow Cab is just okay but the rest nah, we don't even bother anymore. 

I'm not a foodie so maybe not the best to judge, but I'd rank Angel's pizza over Yellow Cab. Some rave about S&R but for me it's nothing special. 

There may be many reasons to live here but the food in general isn't one of them.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm a fan of a light, fresh lager so San Mig Light and Red Horse suit me down to the ground  I actually drank San Mig when I lived in Hong Kong so I'm pretty happy with it here.

I'm sitting here now with a Red Horse and another in the freezer.  I need my lager very, very cold - just the right side of slushy in fact.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm a fan of a light, fresh lager so San Mig Light and Red Horse suit me

Red Horse is a malt liquor which couldn't be more different than a light beer.

On 12/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, craftbeerlover said:

Merry Christmas to even you too, craft!

When I first arrived almost 20 years ago, the pizza was crap and the beer wasn't much better.  It was a painful wait but I can finally get really good pizza delivered. The local beer is still crappy though. If they lowered, or halved, the Brix in Cerveza Negra, I'd be all over that.  There's no demand for a good stout though so like most things, we're limited to what gets imported. Fortunately some good stuff gets in, like Guinness

Visitors who try Cerveza Negra San Miguel tend to compare it to Guinness, the world’s most famous bitter stout. It’s understandable, but it’s an “apples for oranges” comparison. Guinness is a top-fermented beer whose list of ingredients prominently includes roasted barley; the brew is intensely flavored and has a pronounced bitterness. Negra, on the other hand, is a lager; being bottom-fermented, its flavor characteristics follow a different approach even though the beer is made with roasted malt. Its taste is milder only when compared to bitter stout, otherwise it’s a rich beer as lagers go.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I need my lager very, very cold - just the right side of slushy in fact.

:thumbsup:

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Red Horse is a malt liquor

Nope... it's a lager. Bottle says "Beer"... San Miguel states it's a lager.... but yeah, many Americans consider strong lager to be malt liquor.... and IF you're living in the USA thats a fair characterization.  But as they say... when in Rome do as the Romans. :7500:  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The best pizza I have enjoyed here was at a small resto in Panagsama called The Last Filling Station.  It is cooked in a wood fired oven.  For beer I enjoy an icy cold San Miguel Pilsen or the occasional Cerveza Negra.  A bottle of Cerveza Negra added to a big pot of chili added a nice culinary touch.  I used to make two gallons of chili at a time for potlucks.  Never had to take any back home.  

• Like 1