BEER

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I still remember my first Aussie Beer and it was a Toohey's Circa 1978.   Having any kind of import was a big deal back then, most of our imports were all Canadian beers, e.g., Molsons, Moosehead, Labatts, Brador, and even having one of those was a big deal. 

That would've been the old white can I'm guessing.  

TOOHEYS DRAUGHT 1970'S RED&WHITE CAN MAGNET BAR FRIDGE,MAN CAVE(64 mm x 125  mm) $9.99 - PicClick AU

They rebranded it Toohey's New back in the mid-80's and took all the preservatives out but one of the few cases where they managed to maintain the flavour!

It was much the same situation in Australia with any international and even state based beers up until the late 80's:  New South Welshmen could only really get Toohey's or Reschs variants.  Queenslanders had XXXX (called XXXX because Queenslanders couldn't spell beer :smile:), Victorians had the Carlton United Breweries stable of Vic Bitter, Melbourne Bitter, Carlton Gold, South Australia had, West End, Coopers (still a great drop) and Southwick (The Green Death) and so on it went. 

I remember when all the interstate beers started showing up locally and we considered them exotic! Then came the European brands along with Corona and a little later the US staples of Bud and Coors.  I remember many Aussies being caught out by Bud Lite; light beers in Australia are normally low alcohol rather than low carbs/sugar.

I don't include Foster's, as I can't remember a time other than the early 80's when anyone in Australia actually drank it.  There's a reason we export it.

10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not a foodie so maybe not the best to judge, but I'd rank Angel's pizza over Yellow Cab. Some rave about S&R but for me it's nothing special. 

There may be many reasons to live here but the food in general isn't one of them.

Haven't tried Angel's so couldn't say. I'll give it a shot if we ever run across one. 

10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm a fan of a light, fresh lager so San Mig Light and Red Horse suit me down to the ground  I actually drank San Mig when I lived in Hong Kong so I'm pretty happy with it here.

I'm sitting here now with a Red Horse and another in the freezer.  I need my lager very, very cold - just the right side of slushy in fact.

I like Filipino beers as well, particularly fond of Red Horse and Pilsen.  Same of you, super cold out of the freezer drunk from glass with a handle out of the freezer (handle so it your hand doesn't warm it up lol - I rotate the glasses).  Funny thing is Red Horse local is only 6.9%, the export version is 8%, don't know why.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Funny thing is Red Horse local is only 6.9%, the export version is 8%, don't know why.

Yep....RedHorse StateSide ABV is a whopping %.8

Formidable but might quickly relieve some of the fun minded family members, relatives & friends.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

After trying to drink a Red Horse, anything else tastes wonderful. ha

One of the joys of life, the diversity of personal tastes.

Pineapple on pizza is a must!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Waiting for someone to find the video, Dickens cider 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Medicinal Red HorseNo description available.  :shades:

• Haha 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

After trying to drink a Red Horse, anything else tastes wonderful. ha

To be polite I will drink a san mig or red horse, but in the 12 plus years I have been here, I dont think I have ever bought either.  It had better be COLD.... Most of my golfing buddies get it with ice, and I follow suit.    Crap ingredients equals the appropriate taste (IMO), BUT variety is the spice of life and whatever suits your palette enjoy!!!!  

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Joey G said:

Nope... it's a lager. Bottle says "Beer"... San Miguel states it's a lager.... but yeah, many Americans consider strong lager to be malt liquor.... and IF you're living in the USA thats a fair characterization.  But as they say... when in Rome do as the Romans. :7500: 

Malt liquor is a type of lager:7500:

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

In Germany we called these "Terminators" as they are the same 6.9 ABV as Redhorse.

image.jpeg

In the states I call these "Typhoons" as they are 8.1 ABV

image.jpeg

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

image.jpegimage.jpeg