Car insurance

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Thanks everyone for replying, trying to ask the family is it insured for me to drive, or is the car insured is like pulling teeth 

had a 'pulling teeth' in the Philippines comment, but changed my mind

Edited by craftbeerlover

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, stevewool said:

Thanks everyone for replying, trying to ask the family is it insured for me to drive, or is the car insured is like pulling teeth 

The answer will be yes, sure, no problema!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

trying to ask the family is it insured for me to drive

If the car is registered it will be BUT 3rd party only, Only new cars on Finance are likely to have collision insurance

• Like 2

Avalon
Posted
Posted
On 1/6/2024 at 10:20 AM, Gator said:

Now that you mention it, mine told me the same (I think we use the same agent). But also said it would be a good idea to have a notarized letter giving me permission to drive it as it’s registered in the wife’s name. 

Naturally all companies are different and it depends on the insurance company if they allow it or not. 

If it is registered in the name of your legal wife then surely it is considered conjugal property - and as the head of the house under the Family Code you can surely drive it.  Does your wife use your surname?

• Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Avalon said:

If it is registered in the name of your legal wife then surely it is considered conjugal property - and as the head of the house under the Family Code you can surely drive it.  Does your wife use your surname?

That’s a good point and you may be correct, but with screwy legal system here why take a chance. And no, for personal reasons she does not use my surname. 

Avalon
Posted
Posted

We always use FPG Insurance for our cars (Diamond Subd, Balibago) but purchased and paid for by BDO Insurance Brokers and have had a number of claims all dealt with quickly and pleasantly.

The policy states there is no cover when the vehicle insured:

"is being driven by any person other than an Authorized Driver"

The policy then defines 'Authorized Driver':

"Any of the following:

(a) the Insured

(b) any person driving on the Insured's order or with his permission.

Provided that the Insured or the person driving is permitted, in accordance with the licensing law or other regulations, to drive the Scheduled Vehicle, or has been permitted and is not disqualified by order of a Court of Law or by reason of any enactment or regulation in that behalf."

Seems pretty decent

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Avalon said:

We always use FPG Insurance for our cars (Diamond Subd, Balibago) but purchased and paid for by BDO Insurance Brokers and have had a number of claims all dealt with quickly and pleasantly.

The policy states there is no cover when the vehicle insured:

"is being driven by any person other than an Authorized Driver"

The policy then defines 'Authorized Driver':

"Any of the following:

(a) the Insured

(b) any person driving on the Insured's order or with his permission.

Provided that the Insured or the person driving is permitted, in accordance with the licensing law or other regulations, to drive the Scheduled Vehicle, or has been permitted and is not disqualified by order of a Court of Law or by reason of any enactment or regulation in that behalf."

Seems pretty decent

Pretty standard stuff in most countries.  I'm wondering if your policy states anything about private vs commercial use.  I know ours is insured for private use only. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Avalon said:

any person driving on the Insured's order or with his permission.

That is where a notarized letter might be extra "insurance".  My step-daughter does not have my last name so I am going to have a permission letter notarized for her.

Avalon
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Pretty standard stuff in most countries.  I'm wondering if your policy states anything about private vs commercial use.  I know ours is insured for private use only. 

Yes, private use only and with a disclaimer that if the driver is drunk or under the influence of drugs there is no cover.  Interestingly while we only insured the car, the driver is insured for personal injuries in whatever car she drives.  Never noticed that bit until just now.

• Like 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That is where a notarized letter might be extra "insurance".  My step-daughter does not have my last name so I am going to have a permission letter notarized for her.

I remember late last year the LTO made a statement that cars driven by non-owners needed a permission letter if stopped - don't know if that became a policy

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1