Car insurance

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if I use a family car would it be best to get myself insurance to use it and if so how do I go about doing this 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just wondering if I use a family car would it be best to get myself insurance to use it and if so how do I go about doing this 

We got insurance at the dealer (optional) when we bought the car and have just renewed it yearly since then.

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Does the family already have full insurance on the car? Not just the compulsory 3rd party liability insurance required by the LTO, which doesn’t cover the driver. If they do have full insurance, then I’m sure you could be added as a driver. If not, then you can get a policy in the vehicle owners name and list yourself as a covered driver. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

We got insurance at the dealer (optional) when we bought the car and have just renewed it yearly since then.

Same, we keep it going as well.  Used it once with no issues for an incident with a wall that hit me (reference to OnMyWay's - "dog hit me" post :smile:).  My fault. 

About 40k PHP worth of damage, deductable or excess was about 5k, premium went up about 4k the following year and is about to drop back to no claim level so we came out in front.

The premium is about 16k PHP a year for a 2022 Toyota Rush. 

I wouldn't drive without it:  I know someone that had an attempted accident scam against them.  He said to the "victim" and soon after a PNP officer "Here's the number for my insurance company, they'll deal with it for you".  Neither he nor the insurance company ever heard from him. The fact he was insured and has 360 degree cameras hooked into his head unit probably saved him a lot of grief.  I've posted full details of the incident in another thread somewhere. 

Drivers "should" be listed and if it's used for anything other than what's stated on the documentation at the time of an accident they may not pay - carrying paying passengers in a vehicle insured for private use for example. If the driver is unlicenced same deal, no cover.  @stevewool I only mention these things as you said it's the family car; I've had one family member ask to use ours to take some paying passengers somewhere and another member ask to borrow it and I know he doesn't have a licence.  My dodgy back becomes painful if I drive for more than an hour or so, so my eldest BiL drives us for longer trips and we had him listed as a regular driver (no extra cost) just in case.  So basically the same provisions as any other country. 

I'm about to teach our 18yo niece how to drive something with 4 wheels, we'll have her listed as well. She'll never be allowed to borrow the car but just in case something happens while I'm in the passenger seat. She doesn't know it yet but I'll be making her turn her phone off whilst she's behind the wheel... Should be good for a laugh.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

If I am interpreting correctly, Steve is asking about buying insurance when he borrows a family member's car, while visiting.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

I’m sure you could be added as a driver.

My insurance agent tells me that anyone with owner's permission to drive the vehicle is covered by the policy.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My insurance agent tells me that anyone with owner's permission to drive the vehicle is covered by the policy.  

Now that you mention it, mine told me the same (I think we use the same agent). But also said it would be a good idea to have a notarized letter giving me permission to drive it as it’s registered in the wife’s name. 

Naturally all companies are different and it depends on the insurance company if they allow it or not. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gator said:

Now that you mention it, mine told me the same (I think we use the same agent). But also said it would be a good idea to have a notarized letter giving me permission to drive it.  

Naturally all companies are different and it depends on the insurance company if they allow it or not. 

The notarized letter is probably a good idea.  My step daughter is at her 2nd day of classroom training today and will get her license soon. :Caught:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The premium is about 16k PHP a year for a 2022 Toyota Rush. 

I wouldn't drive without it:  I know someone that had an attempted accident scam against them.

Our premium is about 18k for a 2020 Toyota Innova so in the same ballpark.

I haven't claimed on it yet but we did have a guy try to blame us for an accident. 

He hit another car not us, the Police wanted our details (I wasn't driving, SWMBO's papa was, a taxi driver with professional license listed on the insurance).

He just gave the police his information, told Police we had dash cam and insurance and offered the insurance information as well.

The Police let us go after that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for replying, trying to ask the family is it insured for me to drive, or is the car insured is like pulling teeth 

• Haha 1