P7K daily needed for P2.8-M worth modern jeep? LTFRB says there are cheaper units

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

... one-man-band operations which may be less likely to have well-maintained vehicles.  

I'm not sure that's true. Seems to me that bald tires are seen everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Seems to me that bald tires are seen everywhere.

This is a major flaw in the entire Filipino way of thinking, I call it the "bubblegum and bailing wire" mentality. While their ingenuity in the face of adversity is to be admired (converting surplus US Army jeeps into a nationwide transportation system after the ravages of war). Across the spectrum of society, you can see examples.  I see Jeepneys driving down the road while the driver is reaching out the window pouring water into a hose connected to the radiator. :Caught: Even here on this forum, members have stated how condominiums have become almost uninhabitable when elevators stop working due to lack of maintenance, garbage is not picked up, pools not cleaned, common area vegitation allowed to return to its natural jungle state, minimal amount of security personnel because the owners do not want to reinvest into the property.

But my favorite example is when in 1994 we took our young nieces to a local water park. Lots of attractions, clean and well managed, I was greatly impressed. In 1996 we went there again, a couple of the ride were not working, trash cans were dirty, a stall or two in the comfort rooms were "undergoing repair". I think it was in 1999 we went there a final time, the only thing you could then do was wade in the pool and eat in dilapidated cabanas. None of the "attractions" were operational. It was obvious that the "investors" wanted to get their money back as soon as possible and did not think long term. Now the water park sits as an abandoned eyesore inhabited by squatters. There have already been a couple of fires there.

IMHO, as long as this type of thinking prevails throughout all levels of society. Whether it be in education, transport, agriculture, business and government, the Philippines will remain the "Sickman of Asia"

am i wrong.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I'm not sure that's true. Seems to me that bald tires are seen everywhere.

I did say 'less likely.'

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

This is a major flaw in the entire Filipino way of thinking, I call it the "bubblegum and bailing wire" mentality. While their ingenuity in the face of adversity is to be admired (converting surplus US Army jeeps into a nationwide transportation system after the ravages of war). Across the spectrum of society, you can see examples.  I see Jeepneys driving down the road while the driver is reaching out the window pouring water into a hose connected to the radiator. :Caught: Even here on this forum, members have stated how condominiums have become almost uninhabitable when elevators stop working due to lack of maintenance, garbage is not picked up, pools not cleaned, common area vegitation allowed to return to its natural jungle state, minimal amount of security personnel because the owners do not want to reinvest into the property.

But my favorite example is when in 1994 we took our young nieces to a local water park. Lots of attractions, clean and well managed, I was greatly impressed. In 1996 we went there again, a couple of the ride were not working, trash cans were dirty, a stall or two in the comfort rooms were "undergoing repair". I think it was in 1999 we went there a final time, the only thing you could then do was wade in the pool and eat in dilapidated cabanas. None of the "attractions" were operational. It was obvious that the "investors" wanted to get their money back as soon as possible and did not think long term. Now the water park sits as an abandoned eyesore inhabited by squatters. There have already been a couple of fires there.

IMHO, as long as this type of thinking prevails throughout all levels of society. Whether it be in education, transport, agriculture, business and government, the Philippines will remain the "Sickman of Asia"

am i wrong.jpg

You're not wrong.

Take a look around any 5 year-old housing development in the UK and you will see (mostly) houses which look 5-years old.  Here, they look 20+ years old.  Now, this is partly down to poorer quality building in the 1st place but not entirely - much is down to next to no maintenance. 

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Seems to me that bald tires are seen everywhere.

But they pass "inspection". Corruption. There is a coconut mill near here. Grossly overloaded trucks parked outside and a LOT of bald tires. Police ride by there several times a day. But of course police take no action to prevent accidents, they only investigate afterwards.

• Sad 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

But they pass "inspection". Corruption. There is a coconut mill near here. Grossly overloaded trucks parked outside and a LOT of bald tires. Police ride by there several times a day. But of course police take no action to prevent accidents, they only investigate afterwards.

I worked 30+ years in the transportation industry, specifically trucking.  Several of those years were as safety director for a fleet of 500+ tractors and 2500+ trailers.  Even after living here for 10 years I am shocked at some of things I see on the roads.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was a bus and truck fleet manager before I retired and spent 30 plus years working with buses, trucks, taxis and light planes.

The main issue that I see is that maintenance standards being enforced costs Pesos and there isn't the money to do that.

There has been mention of 40 to 50 peso jeepney fares... but I can't imagine many of the locals being able to afford that.

It's catch 22...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I was a bus and truck fleet manager before I retiree and spent 30 plus years working with buses, trucks, taxis and light planes.

The main issue that I see is that maintenance standards being enforced costs Pesos and there isn't the money to do that.

There has been mention of 40 to 50 peso jeepney fares... but I can't imagine many of the locals being able to afford that.

It's catch 22...

So innocent people continue to be killed by these unsafe vehicles. Tire blow outs on large trucks, "lost" brakes etc.

I keep my distance from them when possible. I asked one truck driver why he had going so slow when I saw him at a filling station. He said heavy load and I might have to stop. Brakes not good so have to drive slow.

I told him I appreciated his dedication to safety but please let me leave ahead of him

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Possum said:

So innocent people continue to be killed by these unsafe vehicles. Tire blow outs on large trucks, "lost" brakes etc.

I keep my distance from them when possible. I asked one truck driver why he had going so slow when I saw him at a filling station. He said heavy load and I might have to stop. Brakes not good so have to drive slow.

I told him I appreciated his dedication to safety but please let me leave ahead of him

A couple of months ago a large water tanker overturned on a main road doing a left turn from it's depot. Can't have been doing any speed at all so I assume it was overloaded. In that instance no amount of maintenance would matter;  it's a culture problem where the concept that life is cheap is underpinning everything in terms of safety in every area of their lives.

Rules made to increase safety are routinely ignored. Hell, the LTO suspended operations regarding unregistered vehicles over Christmas as a goodwill gesture. What kind of message does that send?

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

A couple of months ago a large water tanker overturned on a main road doing a left turn from it's depot. Can't have been doing any speed at all so I assume it was overloaded. In that instance no amount of maintenance would matter;  it's a culture problem where the concept that life is cheap is underpinning everything in terms of safety in every area of their lives.

Rules made to increase safety are routinely ignored. Hell, the LTO suspended operations regarding unregistered vehicles over Christmas as a goodwill gesture. What kind of message does that send?

When a tractor/trailer overturns while corning it is almost always speed related.  The tanker was probably going too fast as he turned, then the water in the tank sloshed to the outside of the tank.  The speed plus the water surge caused the overturn.  Liquid tanks use interior baffles to slow/prevent slosh during acceleration and braking, but have almost no effect while cornering.  So speed would almost certainly be the proximate cause of the accident.

• Like 2