P7K daily needed for P2.8-M worth modern jeep? LTFRB says there are cheaper units

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

When a tractor/trailer overturns while corning it is almost always speed related.  The tanker was probably going too fast as he turned, then the water in the tank sloshed to the outside of the tank.  The speed plus the water surge caused the overturn.  Liquid tanks use interior baffles to slow/prevent slosh during acceleration and braking, but have almost no effect while cornering.  So speed would almost certainly be the proximate cause of the accident.

I have no idea but the tanker was turning out of a very narrow road and couldn't have been doing much speed at all but I guess even a snail's pace was already too fast. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 1/15/2024 at 6:29 AM, Mike J said:

So speed would almost certainly be the proximate cause of the accident

And most likely a lack of training and experience driving a tanker. I wonder if the driver even had a tanker endorsement on his license. It doesn’t take much for one to overturn, especially if it was an articulated truck…..even at a slow speed a hard stop while turning with an un-baffled tank is enough. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

And most likely a lack of training and experience driving a tanker. I wonder if the driver even had a tanker endorsement on his license. It doesn’t take much for one to overturn, especially if it was an articulated truck…..even at a slow speed a hard stop while turning with an un-baffled tank is enough. 

I think that's more likely than speed in itself - as I say the truck was turning out of essentially a narrow country lane so couldn't have had much of a head of steam.  It was a big truck, not one of the smaller tankers. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gator said:

Agree and it appears the Philippines does not have an endorsement specific to tankers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_license_in_the_Philippines

<snip>

Restriction Code Allowed Vehicles
Restriction 1* Motorbikes or motorized tricycles
Restriction 2* Motor vehicle up to 4500 kg GVW
Restriction 3 Motor vehicle above 4500 kg GVW
Restriction 4* Automatic transmission up to 4500 kg GVW
Restriction 5 Automatic transmission above 4500 kg GVW
Restriction 6 Articulated Vehicle 1600 kg GVW & below
Restriction 7 Articulated Vehicle 1601 kg up to 4500 kg GVW
Restriction 8 Articulated Vehicle 4501 kg & above GVW

<end snip>