LawnMowers

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Folks..

Besides your Asawa, family, etc. 

What is your brand you use/buy to cut a major area of grass? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Folks..

55 minutes ago, hk blues said:

image.jpeg

Sorry! :hystery:

My new neighbors will eat it!  Another story!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Folks..

Before going into more detail, where do you intend to buy the mower?  Your profile seems to indicate you are still in the U.S.

Mowers are not used much here in the Philippines.  Most lawns are mowed with trimmers.

My neighbor sent his gas powered Ryobi over here in a Balikbayan box(s).   Ryobi would not be first choice.

Edited by OnMyWay

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Before going into more detail, where do you intend to buy the mower?  Your profile seems to indicate you are still in the U.S.

Mowers are not used much here in the Philippines.  Most lawns are mowed with trimmers.

My neighbor sent his gas powered Ryobi over here in a Balikbayan box(s).   Ryobi would not be first choice.

Yep...even our neighbourhood gardening team use petrol strimmers to cut the grass.  Probably not a great way to cut a nice lawn though.  

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

String trimmers tear the tips of the grass blades so that the tips are ugly and dead. A blade that is sharpened periodically cuts the grass tips so they are more green and less ugly, and the lawn has an even appearance. So if appearance is important, use a lawn mower.

If you use a trimmer, Stihl makes good ones. Straight shaft trimmers have more power and can reach under shrubbery and other obstacles. Curved shaft trimmers are lighter and are perfectly fine for the vast majority of tasks.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, still here stateside, bought a few hundred square meter lot about 7 years ago.

Getting close for the semipermanent move and wanted to inquire as I have never seen folks cutting the lawns of well-manicured places in my numerous trips there.

I have seen a few rough cuttings around their shacks with long sickles and a few trimmers as you mentioned.

I will probably ship one myself, I guess.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Snapper brand that I bought via Lazada.  Has a Briggs and Stratton engine.  Been a couple years but I think it was about 23K peso?  Used to use a hedge trimmer and took about four days.  Now it takes less than 1/2 hour, lawn looks better, and I actually kind of enjoy mowing the lawn.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Yes, still here stateside, bought a few hundred square meter lot about 7 years ago.

Getting close for the semipermanent move and wanted to inquire as I have never seen folks cutting the lawns of well-manicured places in my numerous trips there.

I have seen a few rough cuttings around their shacks with long sickles and a few trimmers as you mentioned.

I will probably ship one myself, I guess.

If buying a standard walk behind rotary mower, I would choose one with a Honda engine.  Very reliable.  Also Honda small engines are popular here in agriculture so finding parts later should be easy.  Buy some extra blades so you don't have to worry about finding them in PH or having one made.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

We pay a guy to come by once every 3-4 weeks and he cuts our grass using a grass cutter (in USA I called mine a weed-whacker). In my opinion, it depends on the type of grass... We have three types here at our home - Bermuda grass, frog grass and caribou grass. The Bermuda grass does not grow so well because it is mostly in shade so needs to be cut minimally. The frog grass does not grow tall so actually needs little to no cutting. The caribou grass does grow taller and needs a cut the most. There is also some "wild" grass that needs to be cut every 3-4 weeks. The guy who does the grass cutting is quite skilled and can do our 800+ sqm in less than four hours and does a nice job. He also cuts outside our fence in the right-of-way area, which is maybe another 400 sqm. After, he or someone else, then needs to sweep up the cut grass and then we burn it soon after.

Oh... the grass cutter we bought is a Honda 4-stroke and is super common. Parts and repairs can be done almost anywhere since it appears to be the most common in use - at least here in Davao. We use very heavy nylon line so that it lasts a long time, but still needs to be replaced at least twice during any cutting session.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5