Cordless drill

4RunnerGuy
Posted
Posted

Hi, my wife and I are vising the Philippines this April and my brother-in-law needs a cordless drill. Am I better off buying one here in US and using a convertor?  Or should we wait and buy one there for him? it seems ones there are about twice the price there for similar quality. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, 4RunnerGuy said:

Thoughts? 

Welcome Guy.

If it was me I would buy it here. Save the hassle and space in your luggage. As to the price if you were looking online they might be higher than you will find at some of the larger tool retailers here. You can look up a major home depot type store named Wilcon, see what their prices are like. Nation wide chain.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, 4RunnerGuy said:

Hi, my wife and I are vising the Philippines this April and my brother-in-law needs a cordless drill. Am I better off buying one here in US and using a convertor?  Or should we wait and buy one there for him? it seems ones there are about twice the price there for similar quality. Thoughts? 

Welcome to the forum.  If you do decide to buy one in the USA, make sure the voltage for the charger will handle 220 or 110.  It only takes one forgetful incident to smoke a 110 volt tool.  I bought my Makita cordless from Lazada and am quite happy with it.   Again,, if  you decide to buy in the US, try Amazon as it might be eligible for free shipping.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I noticed ACE Hardware has a pretty good selection of power tools but might depend on your location. To risky using 110-volt stuff here so I suggest buy it here. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

If you do decide to buy one in the USA, make sure the voltage for the charger will handle 220 or 110.  It only takes one forgetful incident to smoke a 110 volt tool.

Ben der.  Dun dat.  

When I was shopping on Amazon for a cordless drill, I never found any that stated they had a 220 input for the charger.  They don't say anything about that either way.

Buy it here, keeping in mind that many "name brands" here are fakes.  If the price is too good to be true, most likely a fake.  At any price, due diligence is required.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, 4RunnerGuy said:

I really wouldn't go to the hassle of buying one in the USA and worrying about convertors etc.  There are plenty of choices available here in perfectly reputable stores such as Wilcon, Ace, etc as I don't believe they sell fake products at all - I'd avoid the smaller stores as I'm less convinced of their products being genuine.  As for online stores - there are plenty of fake products on both as well as plenty of genuine - if it seems too good to be true then be aware.  You can use the reviews as a guide but don't trust the 5-star in itself as both stores ask you to rate immediately after delivery before faults start to appear - I read through the actual comments.  However, I probably wouldn't buy online anyway unless you can't find the product in-store.

I wonder why your BIL wants you to buy one - I say this because I suspect he wants you to buy one in the USA and bring it over otherwise why wouldn't he buy it himself here or at least ask your wife to send the money over?  It's a feature of folk here who think everything from the USA is superior to everything sold here - my own wife had me buying fricking underwear and dinner sets before we moved over from Hong Kong!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

my own wife had me buying fricking underwear and dinner sets before we moved over from Hong Kong!  

Mine tried the same thing with a lot of gear when we came over, after explaining what is she going to buy when we get over there, the Filipino,s in Australia had a field day. But she still sent 6 balikbayan boxes over.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

As other have said I’m in the buy here in the Phil’s side of this one. Plenty of reputable dealers here, especially in the bigger cities. 

Another factor to consider would be the warranty. Not that the Philippines have a good track record honoring them, but I strongly doubt the warranty for one purchased in the USA would be honored here at all.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's a feature of folk here who think everything from the USA is superior to everything sold here - my own wife had me buying fricking underwear and dinner sets before we moved over from Hong Kong!

Off topic but kind of a fun.  A different perspective on underwear.   Not sure how the subject came up between my wife, then fiancé, as we talked via the web about what she should bring on her move to the USA.  The subject of clothing, then brassieres came up. 

Wife - How much do they cost there and what are the size she ask?   

Me - No idea, I will have to check.

Next conversation

Me - They cost about X dollars, XX in peso, and the size range is whatever.  

Wife - Good brands here are expensive but much less money here, not sure of those sizes.

Me - I am going to send you $100 to buy new brassieres, at least we know they will fit.

Next conversation via web & camera

Wife - Looks close around here then opens a shopping bag to show me her new brassieres.  

And it was a bargain my friends.  I was shocked at the price of bras in the USA.  I bet I saved a few hundred and they were the correct fit for a Filipina. :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

they were the correct fit for a Filipina

Aka: boobs by Mandaue Foam! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1