Motorhomes

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Are there such things in and around the Philippines and if so is it fisable to live in one for so long or is it just to hot , it seems Europe and the USA are crazy for these sort of vehicles , but I’ve never seen one when we around in the Philippines 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've seen a couple of RVs around but only ever in Luzon and nothing on the scale of the 3 axle or larger beasts you see in the US.  As for caravans/trailers I've yet to see a purpose built setup here. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

Are there such things in and around the Philippines and if so is it fisable to live in one for so long or is it just to hot , it seems Europe and the USA are crazy for these sort of vehicles , but I’ve never seen one when we around in the Philippines 

I’ve only seen 2. Both were Toyota pick up truck types. One in Cebu was quite old and the one I seen recently in Angeles looked brand new. I’ve never seen a travel trailer type setup here at all. In fact, I think it’s quite rare to see any vehicles pulling any type of trailer (short double semi trucks on the expressways / main highways excluded) 

IMHO it never caught on here I think because of the expense of buying one and there’s no infrastructure for them. Although a fair number of ppl here go camping, it seems to be mostly limited to pitching a tent at a few beach areas. 

Also you need to consider the average height of a motor home is about 13’ (my 5th wheel was 13’ 2” at its highest point). In the USA, with the exception of a few old bridges located mainly in the older metro areas (like NYC and Chicago) the minimum height requirement for all bridges, traffic lights and power / cable lines is 14’. Here in the Phils, they may have similar rules, but they’re obviously not enforced. Just look up on about any roadway (expressways on Luzon and a few main highways excepted) and you’ll see a cluster f@*k of very low hanging wires. 

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

and you’ll see a cluster f@*k of very low hanging wires

Have you ever been to Australia, you seem to have the Ozzie language down to pat 

• Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Have you ever been to Australia, you seem to have the Ozzie language down to pat 

I believe the word in question was first coined by American singer and poet Ed Sanders back in the 60's.  It's spread world-wide since then thanks to its use in American cinema.  

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clusterfuck

image.png

Yes, I have far too much time on my hands  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

In my ten years here I have not seen a single one.  Driving one here would be a real challenge and I can't even imagine the nightmare of finding places to park.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Only 15 million!

https://www.philmotors.com/Ford-E-350-WINNEBAGO-MINNIE-WINNIE-81287

Rooster
Posted
Posted

I had a 34' Motorhome with a tow behind when I lived in The States.  Although they are self sustainable, there are no "legal" RV dump stations in The Philippines and one would be breaking Philippine law by dumping human waste although human waste is dumped everywhere anyway.  There are many reasons I could give for owning one in The States, the same reasons wouldn't apply in The Philippines. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

Although they are self sustainable, there are no "legal" RV dump stations in The Philippines and one would be breaking Philippine law by dumping human waste although human waste is dumped everywhere anyway. 

Good point. As I stated earlier there’s no infrastructure for any type of RV’s here. Since there’s no 30/50amp hook ups, for an extended stay anywhere, you’d have to have a generator and an ample supply of fuel to run power for the lights and aircon. The batteries would last a while for the lights and tv, but they’re not strong enough to run  a roof top aircon. Mine were barely powerful enough for the slide outs (I had 5 of them). 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/29/2024 at 6:03 AM, BrettGC said:

As for caravans/trailers I've yet to see a purpose built setup here. 

A neighbor builds small enclosed trailers as a secondary business.  Most are customized for use as a semi-stationary food business, so they don't get many miles on them.  I think he outfitted one or two for sleeping.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2