Motorhomes

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a company in Metro Manila doing customized van conversions.  A close friend of mine ordered one because he resides in Alabang while his office is in Mandaluyong.  The commute time is a minimum one and a half hours depending on traffic.  He has a driver.  Spends time reading business papers, watching movies on his laptop or sleeping in a comfortable bed.  Best feature for him is the toilet.  The septic tank at home is located under the garage floor.  No problem installing a dump connector.  t

We purchased a van conversion for travel through the 48 contiguous states and Canada after our retirement ten years ago.  Friends are encouraging us to ship it to the Philippines now that we no longer camp.  (What! They can then borrow it?)  Recharging the four external batteries is no problem because of a generator attached to the engine.  Dumping the black and gray water requires a connector to a septic tank every 3 or 4 days.  The main issue for me is the van will attract lots of attention in the provinces.  On lookers will try to peak through and tap the windows.

Attach is a photograph.

Honu.JPG

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

There is a company in Metro Manila doing customized van conversions. 

There are quite a few doing conversions now.  Our celebrity neighbor has a black Mercedes like yours.  Where is yours located now?  There is a company here in Subic that does security conversions with bulletproof glass, etc.  I don't know if they do vans.  Most were Suburbans, Expeditions, etc.

Recently here in PH, I am seeing a few Ford Transit vans.  They are huge and I suspect mostly conversions.  In Germany, those were very popular for delivery vans.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I was looking at something like this a small van just to use as an everyday run around but can be used for a few days or even weeks away while touring .

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

I was looking at something like this a small van just to use as an everyday run around but can be used for a few days or even weeks away while touring

I think something like that would work well here.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Where is yours located now? 

It is currently in a storage facility near Torrance, California.  Location is equidistant to Los Angeles International and the San Pedro International Cruise Terminal.  We just leave the vehicle at the gated facility and then take a Lyft or Uber to either the airport or port terminal.  However, no more RV life since the pandemic.  We use it as transport.

I don't like the large RVs that are hard to maneuver and consume lots of fuel.  The Mercedes Benz Sprinter is ideal.  They were designed as delivery vans for old European towns with narrow roads.  The height is under 10 feet, and you can stand erect inside.  The engine is powerful, so you can cruise at 85 mph with no problem.  Diesel fuel consumption is between 18 to 20 miles.  At 55 mph open road, this can increase to 23 miles.  Fuel is diesel.

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted

We attend annually the Manila International Auto Show at The World Trade Center near Mall of Asia. Each year they have an outdoor area where companies display and market their custom built motor homes, trailers, campers, bullet proof vehicle services, Inside is the car show. This years event is  April 4 - 7, 2024.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvPrRVQDj8o

Every Manila car show has companies who display what they refer to as "over-landing" which are modified campers. The 2023 Motul Manila Auto Salon and Sport Truck Show at The SMX Convention Center displayed campers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInvPuLy5iE

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

It is currently in a storage facility near Torrance, California.  Location is equidistant to Los Angeles International and the San Pedro International Cruise Terminal.

I remember now, you had mentioned Torrance before.  You have family there?  Know the area well since I grew up in Redondo Beach.

Sharing this photo my sister just posted, of Hermosa Beach, where I also lived for 5 years.  70 F today.

FB_IMG_1706575519830.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A neighbor builds small enclosed trailers as a secondary business.  Most are customized for use as a semi-stationary food business, so they don't get many miles on them.  I think he outfitted one or two for sleeping.

Happen to be by one of his trailers right now, in the Moon Bay Marina area.  When this area opened up, he had several trailers there, and I think he leased them out.  All gone except for this one.  This is small one.  Most of the others were larger and had a retro Airstream look.

IMG_20240130_083319.jpg

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 1/28/2024 at 5:13 PM, Rooster said:

I had a 34' Motorhome with a tow behind when I lived in The States.  Although they are self sustainable, there are no "legal" RV dump stations in The Philippines and one would be breaking Philippine law by dumping human waste although human waste is dumped everywhere anyway.  There are many reasons I could give for owning one in The States, the same reasons wouldn't apply in The Philippines. 

Exactly....where to dump the black tank.... rice field :hystery:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I remember now, you had mentioned Torrance before.  You have family there?  Know the area well since I grew up in Redondo Beach.

My wife's mother purchased a home in Torrance about 60 years ago.  When we were dating 54 years ago, I recall the area was surrounded by marsh land.  Her sister lives in Palos Verdes and a niece with 4 sons nearby.  Our hotel is Extended Stay America next to Del Amo Fashion Center.  They have large parking spaces that can accommodate our RV.