Risks of dating or living with a woman with children in The Philippines

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

This discussion often comes up among friends who I hang out with. We are in agreement "do not" get involved with any woman who has children in The Philippines. The arguments seem to pop up when new Expats arrive who seek advice or with other Expats who are dating women with children. My advice to others is always do not get involved with any woman in The Philippines who has a child.

Our main argument that we and I use when asked about dating women with children is Philippine Law.  Republic Act No. 7610 https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1992/06/17/republic-act-no-7610/

(b) Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

Fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity means parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great- great-grandparents, spouse, children, siblings, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great- grandchildren, nieces or nephews, grand-nieces or grand-nephews, aunts or uncles, great-aunts or great-uncles, and first cousins by virtue of a blood relationship or marriage

Fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity means parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, spouse, children, siblings, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren, nieces or nephews, grand-nieces or grand-nephews, aunts or uncles, great-aunts or great-uncles.

Fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity means parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great- great-grandparents, spouse, children, siblings, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great- grandchildren, nieces or nephews, grand-nieces or grand-nephews, aunts or uncles, great-aunts or great-uncles, and first cousins by virtue of a blood relationship or marriage

If you are dating or living with a woman who has a child, there will be times when one is alone with that child such as if the mother goes to the market or to run errands. If the child is not related to you then you are breaking Philippine Law and risk arrest.

I have seen on the news and have read where Foreigners get arrested at bus stops for being with a child who is not theirs. Videos of PNP warning one Foreigner that he could no longer give children a ride to church or be in their presence. There are other examples as well.

Besides the risk of arrest for being in the presence of a child not related to the Foreigner, there are also risks such as the woman may already be married. Repercussions from the biological father. Etc.

Another risk is The Financial Drama. I warned a guy who arrived 1 year ago not to get involved. The GF drained him financially with the children need this and that. He now only dates women who claim they have no children. 

The Barangay where I live reminds residents to report any Foreigner they see alone with a child.

I get responses from other Foreigners such as. It's not true, I babysit my girlfriends daughter when she goes to work or no one cares, that's not the law. Etc. Etc. I am wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Edited by Rooster

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Rooster said:

This discussion often comes up among friends who I hang out with. We are in agreement "do not" get involved with any woman who has children in The Philippines. The arguments seem to pop up when new Expats arrive who seek advice or with other Expats who are dating women with children. My advice to others is always do not get involved with any woman in The Philippines who has a child.

Our main argument that we and I use when asked about dating women with children is Philippine Law.  Republic Act No. 7610 https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1992/06/17/republic-act-no-7610/

(b) Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

Fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity means parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, spouse, children, siblings, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren, nieces or nephews, grand-nieces or grand-nephews, aunts or uncles, great-aunts or great-uncles.

If you are dating or living with a woman who has a child, there will be times when one is alone with that child such as if the mother goes to the market or to run errands. If the child is not related to you then you are breaking Philippine Law and risk arrest.

I have seen on the news and have read where Foreigners get arrested at bus stops for being with a child who is not theirs. Videos of PNP warning one Foreigner that he could no longer give children a ride to church or be in their presence. There are other examples as well.

Besides the risk of arrest for being in the presence of a child not related to the Foreigner, there are also risks such as the woman may already be married. Repercussions from the biological father. Etc.

Another risk is The Financial Drama. I warned a guy who arrived 1 year ago not to get involved. The GF drained him financially with the children need this and that. He now only dates women who claim they have no children. 

The Barangay where I live reminds residents to report any Foreigner they see alone with a child.

I get responses from other Foreigners such as. It's not true, I babysit my girlfriends daughter when she goes to work or no one cares, that's not the law. Etc. Etc. I am wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Plenty of unmarried, childless Filipinas looking for Love...Leiser... & Marriage.

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

I suspect it is one of those laws selectively applied when desired.  My extended in-law family has kids and adults coming and going all the time, some not related, and there is no concern.  But a European guy with a Filipino child would draw attention.  As you imply, better not to be in a position of having to explain yourself.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Where did you get the quoted part above??? It's not in the 7610 after I did a word search of the document.

19 minutes ago, Rooster said:

affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

This is actually is not Fourth degree consanguinity... "affinity" is not a family relationship.  Affinity is friendship. "bond by law, local custom, and tradition" most certainly includes an unmarried relationship.  

Anyways... no poker in this fire... and I have no doubt foreigners have gotten in "trouble"... but I'd bet in almost every instance there's more to the story than the initial report.

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Joey G said:

Where did you get the quoted part above??? It's not in the 7610 after I did a word search of the document.

Use the link that the OP provided and look at Article 6, Other Acts of Abuse.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

This is actually is not Fourth degree consanguinity... "affinity" is not a family relationship.  Affinity is friendship. "bond by law, local custom, and tradition" most certainly includes an unmarried relationship.  

Anyways... no poker in this fire... and I have no doubt foreigners have gotten in "trouble"... but I'd bet in almost every instance there's more to the story than the initial report.

Google 4th degree of consanguinity and affinity Philippines or click on the link below to see a chart how The Philippines describes it. You see that it conflicts with your definition of "affinity".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjswZb-vYaEAxXTTGwGHaxCBlYQFnoECCkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wesm.ph%2Fdownloads%2Fdownload%2FTWFya2V0IFJlcG9ydHM%3D%2FMTg5Mg%3D%3D&usg=AOvVaw3suI6h-iay4nB89rT6Skq_&opi=89978449

Screenshot 2024-01-31 105206.jpg

Edited by Rooster

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Very familiar with that rule /law. 2 years back GF wanted to bring her young son to stay in Manila for a few weeks.

That idea was shot down better than a Lockheed SR 72 could do....

Had to show her the law and how I couldnt and wouldnt be in the company of her son.

All it would take was one guard to called DWSD claiming illegality .

She was amazed and had never heard of such rules. The idea has never arisen since.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Rooster said:

I don't doubt the law exists, or that it has been applied in some way in the past but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a back story in such cases where a foreigner was arrested.  The more likely scenario is that a warning/advice be given to the foreigner. 

Don't get involved with a lady with a child is sound advice but in reality that's easier said than done, perhaps.

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/159382/belgian-charged-child-trafficking

https://plnmedia.com/kids-traumatised-belgian-wrongful-arrest/

Poor fellow had been a friend of family for many years ( second story ) .

He had 6 months in prison i think before he was released , all charges dropped and probably no "sorry sir we made a mistake, we were just chasing a nice big headline".