US phone number and cell phone service for financial account authentication

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

I recently had to replace my laptop and most accounts that I logged in to online after wanted to re-authenticate my identity by sending a text a code to my US phone number and fortunately I still have my US cell phone number, service and phone.  My original plan before moving to Cebu was to replace my US cell phone number with my Google Voice (GV) and/or Skype number with my online accounts and then drop my US carrier service but now I’m not sure that’s the best approach for me.  I have local cell phone service (Globe post paid) that I use for local communication (texts/calls) and accounts.  My phone still has the physical SIM card from my US carrier (Verizon) and an eSIM card from Globe.  At this point I don’t have any plans to travel or return to the US but want to keep my US accounts open in case I do.

Like any other research on the internet, I have found a lot of contradictory information.

VOIP vs US cell phone service - I have come across some articles where people who were once advocating using GV, Skype or similar VOIP services and dropping their US cellular service are now indicating that having a true US cell phone number and service is recommended.  I have also read that at some point some US carriers may cut off their international service if they discover you are living outside the US but I have also read some people have continued to pay for and use their US cell phone service for many years. 

Replacing a cell phone - If something were to happen to my cell phone, I could see if Verizon would ship me a new one with a SIM card with my current phone number but I don’t feel like that’s guaranteed plus one place I read that I could not activate a new phone from Verizon while outside of the US.  I could purchase a new phone here and have my Globe cellular service activated on it but that would leave me without my US cell phone number.  I’m not even sure if I could get GV to work on it since it is still tied to my US cell phone number and they probably would want to re-authenticate my identity.  I’m thinking I could probably get Skype to work.  I think most of the US companies do have other ways to authenticate in addition to or instead of texting to a US phone number so I may be able to authenticate with other methods.

Google Voice - for many, GV seems to work for everything but others warn that some companies can’t/won’t send texts to VOIP based phone numbers including GV and even when they do some won’t send codes to GV during identity verification when there are security issues like locked accounts.  And I came across information that GV is designed to work with a cell phone number, it’s an additional number and isn’t really designed to be stand alone.  I had read many stories about porting your US phone number to GV before leaving the US but I was rushing around at the end before moving here and didn’t have enough confidence it was something I wanted to do.

Skype - I read one account where someone was able to receive texts to their Skype phone number with an additional subscription but most indicated that they could not receive texts from businesses in the US.  I came across information that you can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers but SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.  I came across one mention that someone thought Skype would be discontinued at some point.

So far, I have added my GV and Skype numbers to as many of my accounts as possible but have not made either of them the primary number yet since I am concerned that I might not be able to authenticate with some accounts.  I have read good things about Magic Jack but do not have that and I’m not sure if I can get it while outside of the US and I’m not sure if it is any better or worse than GV and Skype.

Perhaps my focus should be on moving away from companies that require a US phone number and moving towards companies that appear to be expat friendly and are ok with me living in the Philippines and authenticate without the need for a US phone number. 

Am I off base on my research and/or missing an easy way to lessen/eliminate my dependence on a US cell phone number/service?  What works particularly well for you guys and what doesn’t?

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

I had the exact same issue but Australian number, residing at the time in Europe, believe me i tried every option you mentioned and none of them worked, my sim that was advertised as ''world roaming'' did not roam in Europe, then was the computer IP issue, although i use a strong paid VPN, that didn't work either, the result was i found another cheap provider that roams in Europe i got my friend to buy a sim card (in Australia) validate that sim send it to me and it works, the sim card has $20 credit and is valid for 365 days, that works as a number for banking and other applications, this might help you,, good luck. I changed all my information via their apps.

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Check out OneSimCard. Works great for receiving 2FA codes from Google, banks, and such. 

https://www.onesimcard.com/

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 11:18 PM, StayAtHomeDad said:

Check out OneSimCard. Works great for receiving 2FA codes from Google, banks, and such. 

https://www.onesimcard.com/

Buyer beware.  In reading the FAQ section it appears they use an "Estonian mobile number, the primary mobile number for a OneSimCard global SIM card".  You can then "assign" one or more numbers to your account.  So it appears that there is really only a single "real" mobile number which is an Estonian mobile number.  The server in Estonia would then transfer the calls to the other numbers, almost certainly using VOIP.  I am not sure this system would work for banking as many, perhaps most, banks will not send a PIN to a VOIP number and will only send PIN number to numbers belonging to their respective countries.   They would certainly not send a PIN to a number in Estonia. 

This is my opinion based on the FAQ in the website.  I could be wrong but I don't think it will work for banking, financial transactions, etc. 

Edited by Mike J
Had it right the first time. Crap!
  • Like 2

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

I noticed a couple of things. 

For one of my accounts, after adding my GV and Skype numbers I received a random authentication request and now instead of only my US cell phone number I now have my GV and Skype numbers as options to receive texts or phone calls.  I selected to receive a text message to my GV number and the code came through just fine with no problems.  If I get this again I think I'll select receive a phone call to my Skype number since I'm pretty sure it can't receive texts just to see if that works.

For another account, I tried to add my GV number but it said I could not add a VOIP number but then I tried to add my Skype number and it accepted it without any problems.  Go figure.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

For another account, I tried to add my GV number but it said I could not add a VOIP number

Were you inputting the GV number into the “mobile or cell phone” field? I ran into that issue with one of my banks. Instead I left that field blank and entered my GV number into the “home telephone” field. Worked just fine, but about once a month or so I’ll get an email asking me to update or add a mobile phone number. I just ignore the email. It’s been over two years and no issues, I don’t do a lot of transactions with that account, but when I do I get a SMS and email to my GV. 

• Like 2

MikeyD
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, Gator said:

Were you inputting the GV number into the “mobile or cell phone” field?

I tried both the home phone and work phone options and it would not accept my GV number in either but it did accept my Skype number as a home phone number.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 2/7/2024 at 2:35 PM, MikeyD said:

Perhaps my focus should be on moving away from companies that require a US phone number and moving towards companies that appear to be expat friendly and are ok with me living in the Philippines and authenticate without the need for a US phone number. 

Banks are constantly changing their policies, usually for the worse where expats are concerned.  GV is working fine for my Chase and CapitalOne 2FA now, but who knows, that could change any time.  I need a solid backup plan.

I opened SDFCU accounts a few years ago.  They are tailored for citizens living overseas.  I have not used the checking and savings accounts but now I am going to build up the relationship.  I was just approved for a good credit card and they have excellent CD rates, so I am going to park some money in a CD there.

I recommend SDFCU for those looking for a backup plan or for primary banking.

Investment banking is another topic.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Banks are constantly changing their policies

Recently the money transfer agencies I use changed the way they transfer customers money unbeknown to me, results, nearly a week before I received my money. Results, back to WorldRemit, transferring from my Australian bank account into my Philippines bank account. Larger than the 300 K I’ll weigh up the odds on who to send it with. Banks grr.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Banks are constantly changing their policies, usually for the worse where expats are concerned. 

Indeed - as I and numerous other UK expats living abroad have found out to our cost/inconvenience as many UK banks are now closing accounts overseas.  Luckily, we do have expat banking options for UK citizens that at least leave us with some sort of banking facility albeit it at a cost i.e. often hefty minimum balances of 50K or more.  

• Like 1